Coronavirus v Cinema: Dawn of Streaming

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 3:21 pm
m4st4 wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Is this it, our solid run on this Earth coming to an end?
checks list
  • massacres
    multiple genocides just in the last AND this century
    world wars
    slavery
    the atom bomb
    racism
    misogyny
    homophobia
    xenophobia
    nationalism
    crusades and all of the other shit we did in the name of religion
    causing entire animal species to go extinct
    child labor
    we created plastic
    burned books
    ate tide pods
    invented advertising
    raped, conquered and destroyed entire regions and cultures reducing them to almost nothing

did we honestly even have a solid run ? bc 2020 is making me doubt everything in a not so “r/im14andthisisdeep” way
But girls and guys, we only see burning social issues because change is happening, and the zeitgeist is slowly shifting. I mean, you wouldn't ever notice the dust behind your books unless you moved them, right?

And humans rose above the automated life of the animal kingdom - probably by accident, but nevertheless -, and it comes with TONS of issues. But I refuse to believe that whatever the world's going through right now is worse than ever before; I believe it's the opposite. Especially since advancements in sciences are letting a minority of humanity to live a completely tolerable life. The majority is suffering, sadly... but that will take another ten thousand years to solve, I guess. So, until then, we, who have the opportunity to live our lives in a tolerable way with some minor annoyances along the way, can decide to do something valuable with our time and try to help other people on either a small or large scale. Go out, learn, work, learn some more, create, share. Change at least one person's life. Go.

Maybe a bit excessive.

m4st4 wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 3:01 pm
You guys, what even is this fucking year. The world has gone mad. I'm watching that Trump interview and then I'm watching that terrible explosion at the port and the cinema is dying. Is this it, our solid run on this Earth coming to an end?
well we have climate change to look forward to. plus, it feeds on itself.

Antebellum is coming out Sept. 24 only on PVOD in America for some reason. If many theaters are already open for Tenet and whatnot, why not release in theaters also?

https://deadline.com/2020/08/janelle-mo ... 203006491/

Like others have said, at this point, is it even worth opening for theaters? Even if Tenet and WW1982 perform well, can they sustain theaters basically by themselves for Sept. and Oct?

radewart wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 7:26 pm
Antebellum is coming out Sept. 24 only on PVOD in America for some reason. If many theaters are already open for Tenet and whatnot, why not release in theaters also?

Like others have said, at this point, is it even worth opening for theaters? Even if Tenet and WW1982 perform well, can they sustain theaters basically by themselves for Sept. and Oct?
even a handful of big box office hits will help theaters generate more cash than their own debt deals are. As long as there is Tenet, WW84, Bond, Dune, and Black Widow even those movies will extend the life of theaters in a huge way even if there's no releases in 2021 for a long time.

-Vader

radewart wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Because the majors and evidently mini majors too (sole exception so far being MGM with Bill and Ted) are too worried about a big backlash from big chain exhibitors like AMC/Universal if they try go day and date. The CEO of AMC actually kinda called that out on tonight’s earnings call saying that without a deal like Universal’s Disney and others are stuck between going only in cinemas or only VOD.

And speaking of the Universal deal, he confirmed they aren’t allowed to advertise a film coming to PVOD until 10 days into a theatrical run.

16:9 is better than 2.39:1 for streamed content fight me.

Cinemas here are reopening August 20.

Guess I'm watching Tenet soon.

Doctors Say You Should Probably Skip Returning to Movie Theaters Anytime Soon | Slashfilm

But if you refuse to accept this, and are dead-set on hitting up a theater, Dr. El-Sayed says: “I’d tell people to wear a mask and keep it on the entire time. And do everything touchless: Buy your ticket online, have it on your phone, don’t let them touch your phone when they scan it. Don’t spend any time in the common spaces: Go straight to your theater, sit as far away from folks as you possibly can. I agree concessions should be closed, and they should be wiping down the entire theater in between every screening.”

ThePhantomTerror wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 12:44 am
Doctors Say You Should Probably Skip Returning to Movie Theaters Anytime Soon | Slashfilm

But if you refuse to accept this, and are dead-set on hitting up a theater, Dr. El-Sayed says: “I’d tell people to wear a mask and keep it on the entire time. And do everything touchless: Buy your ticket online, have it on your phone, don’t let them touch your phone when they scan it. Don’t spend any time in the common spaces: Go straight to your theater, sit as far away from folks as you possibly can. I agree concessions should be closed, and they should be wiping down the entire theater in between every screening.”
If it's any consolation, I was already going to do all of that stuff anyway.

But theaters won't go without selling concessions. That's where they make most of their money already.