Coronavirus v Cinema: Dawn of Streaming

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I get why studios don't want to release their new films if it can't be worldwide but man, thats just not going to happen anytime soon especially if you look at the situation as it is in the US. It would still make sense to release new films in countries where it is in fact possible. All those theaters are basically dying for new films as well.
Piracy does hurt the box office of course but I think some if not the majority of the theater chains are willing to take that bet. Still, theater chains are also willing to screen new films longer than usual, which makes sense, since screens can't be as full at once as they were before the pandemic.

Studios have three options: release some on VOD, staggered releases from now until at least Spring 2021...or just wait for 2021 and hope theater chains survive the bare minimum they're already getting through various fundings.

But I don't see us watching Tenet, Wonder Woman, Bond or Dune any time soon.

I kind of understand why theaters would fight aggressively against VOD. No doubly it will take a chunk of their income. There are people who already don’t go to theaters but by taking away that exclusivity, you’ll encourage more people to just watch it home. They are already struggling to get people in and I always thought they needed to up their game and so something game changing.

Movies that are designed for premium theaters like IMAX will probably suffer less. It’s midrange movies that might take a hit. They usually get screened in subpar and small screens with bad audio systems. You’re better off seeing them at home anyway.

Just like the whole film vs. digital debate was, I’d hate to see filmmakers forced to release their movies digitally when they had a theatrical release in mind. Stripping them of that choice.

I also think this is a time that demands flexibility. You can’t be stubborn about this. Theater owners need to loosen up a little considering the circumstances. At least shorten the theatrical window or allow movies to be shown on VOD first. Tenet or Mulan or WW84 won’t be the only blockbusters out there. The slate is full of movies that potentially could revive movie theaters when the time is right.

Forgot to add this: I know streaming services are offering enough content to entertain people during these difficult times but we must not forget that the movies are made tell stories, to affect people emotionally, to make them think about things they never thought of or heard about before but also to ENTERTAIN. This is the time where we need the smallest things to feel joyful and happy. Art can do that. There’s no point in delaying music albums and movies if they are complete and ready.

I'll pay whatever it takes for VOD Bond or Wondie, for example. But I don't think it'll happen.

And if it ever happens will it be available internationally? That is a very important question.

If only there was a Hollywood movie with a small budget that would essentially attract audiences to test waters with. Staggered release globally and simultaneous VOD release. Only studio that would be up for that is Universal but it doesn’t seem like they would that with Bond (without MGM’s blessing).

No studio (except for WB) seems to want to gamble with their precious tentpoles at the moment.

cc: Vader and Teddy:

But where does this leave international theaters?

Tarssauce wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 10:42 am
But where does this leave international theaters?
I would hope that this might encourage exhibitor trade bodies in other countries to similarly push their governments for support - such as UNIC in Europe.

But for instance the UK, it's so unlikely this would fly at this point because independent/arthouse cinemas are already included in a massive arts bailout that also includes live music and theatre venues.

Theater Owners Chief on ‘Tenet’ Delay and Reopening Cinemas During Coronavirus
Will the major movie chains still be around if they can’t reopen until there’s a vaccine?

They’ll still be around, they’ll just be under completely different ownership. Many will have to go through bankruptcy. Some will reorganize, others will fold. I have no doubt that on the other side of this, cinemas will be stronger than ever and moviegoing will come back bigger than it was before. But if we don’t find a way to reopen, a lot of jobs will be lost and a lot of companies will go away.
More here: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tene ... 234711135/

Warner Bros. is adjusting its movie production and distribution plans in light of the prolonged shutdown of theaters driven by the coronavirus pandemic, AT&T CEO John Stankey told investors Thursday.

Stankey emphasized that the studio still “believes in the theatrical experience” but said it is inevitable that some titles planned for a traditional theatrical will have to shift to streaming platforms including WarnerMedia’s newly launched HBO Max.

“There’s no question the longer this goes on there’s going to be some content on the margin that we look at and say that it may be better served to be distributed in a different construct,” Stankey said, speaking on AT&T’s second quarter earnings call. He was quick to add that big-budget event movies like Christopher Nolan’s “Tenet” and the upcoming “Wonder Woman” sequel “Wonder Woman 1984” would still be destined for the big screen.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/att- ... XA8MLJtsW0