Coronavirus v Cinema: Dawn of Streaming

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
antovolk wrote:
July 10th, 2020, 7:53 am
https://www.screendaily.com/news/screen ... 64.article

UK exhibitors urge US studios to release their films in world’s open cinemas
With coronavirus infection rates in the US still rising and release dates for big US studio films from Mulan to Tenet being pushed further and further back, Phil Clapp, CEO of the UK Cinema Association, acknowledged the challenges facing UK and European exhibitors “heavily reliant” on US product.

“We very much risk having a significant region of cinema open and ready for business and because of things that are completely outside our influence elsewhere in the world, not having enough content to bring people back in,” Clapp said.

“We never thought that tap would be turned off,” he said of the scenario cinemas now face: No steady stream of Hollywood blockbusters to show in them.

“I completely understand the desire to wait for a global release date. I totally get piracy. I totally get all those challenges but if you wait for a global release date, you could be waiting for a very, very long time,” said Lilly. “At some point there has to be recognition that you are not going to realise 100% of returns on those films that you were hoping for five months ago.”

He made a plea to studio chiefs: “Look at the global footprint and if you think you can get 75%, go for it. That, in its way, will help start along the path [to recovery].”

“If we wait for the stars to be aligned, there may not be a European cinema sector to arrive at when we get there,” Clapp agreed. “What we will lose in doing that is much, much greater in the grand scheme of things that some marginal reduction in revenue around a particular title.”

“I absolutely understand the move toward global day and date is being driven by marketing spend; it is being driven by piracy and a range of other things. But without sounds too apocalyptic - and now I am going to - we are talking about the survival of the sector here. Piracy and marketing spend become a bit of an irrelevance.”
What is your take on this, Anton? As a European, I'd love to see this happen, but I can imagine what a blow it would be to US audiences. Also, some European countrirs are reporting a surge in cases as well, so it might not be such a good idea. But if it could be done, I would love it to happen. Thoughts?

DHOPW42 wrote:
July 10th, 2020, 10:42 am
antovolk wrote:
July 10th, 2020, 7:53 am
https://www.screendaily.com/news/screen ... 64.article

UK exhibitors urge US studios to release their films in world’s open cinemas
With coronavirus infection rates in the US still rising and release dates for big US studio films from Mulan to Tenet being pushed further and further back, Phil Clapp, CEO of the UK Cinema Association, acknowledged the challenges facing UK and European exhibitors “heavily reliant” on US product.

“We very much risk having a significant region of cinema open and ready for business and because of things that are completely outside our influence elsewhere in the world, not having enough content to bring people back in,” Clapp said.

“We never thought that tap would be turned off,” he said of the scenario cinemas now face: No steady stream of Hollywood blockbusters to show in them.

“I completely understand the desire to wait for a global release date. I totally get piracy. I totally get all those challenges but if you wait for a global release date, you could be waiting for a very, very long time,” said Lilly. “At some point there has to be recognition that you are not going to realise 100% of returns on those films that you were hoping for five months ago.”

He made a plea to studio chiefs: “Look at the global footprint and if you think you can get 75%, go for it. That, in its way, will help start along the path [to recovery].”

“If we wait for the stars to be aligned, there may not be a European cinema sector to arrive at when we get there,” Clapp agreed. “What we will lose in doing that is much, much greater in the grand scheme of things that some marginal reduction in revenue around a particular title.”

“I absolutely understand the move toward global day and date is being driven by marketing spend; it is being driven by piracy and a range of other things. But without sounds too apocalyptic - and now I am going to - we are talking about the survival of the sector here. Piracy and marketing spend become a bit of an irrelevance.”
What is your take on this, Anton? As a European, I'd love to see this happen, but I can imagine what a blow it would be to US audiences. Also, some European countrirs are reporting a surge in cases as well, so it might not be such a good idea. But if it could be done, I would love it to happen. Thoughts?
It's...fucking complicated, that's what it is. Major tentpole titles at this point really work with global day and date launches and marketing campaigns like that. The only film that could reasonably get away with releasing in the way suggested is No Time To Die due to its UK heritage and international appeal, US isn't a priority in the same way it would be for everything else. Hell US first other countries later, and that's the weird thing about this, if things were the other way round studios would definitely do it.

My personal ideal scenario is everything released theatrically pre vaccine gets VOD under a month after release. Of course, that's not the situation we're in currently with chains still refusing to budge and the AMC / Universal spat shutting that conversation down for now. Perhaps a compromise without losing the day and date aspect is just opening films theatrically internationally and if US (and others handling this badly) is still closed at the time they go to PVOD there. Warners is experimenting with different country by country basis release strategies on Scoob and Universal on Trolls (it didn't go to PVOD everywhere in April). Yes there's piracy but like the article argues, bigger things at play. They'd rather take something than nothing - but then in that case, give up on the 90 day theatrical window fight for this period? Can't help but think how much this is so self inflicted by chains over relying on US blockbusters over the last decade....

AMC Theatres Reaches New Debt Agreement to Stay Afloat Through 2021

https://www.slashfilm.com/new-amc-theat ... agreement/
Great!!! Relieved I was right that things would work itself out at least for now. Still not ideal for many reasons especially in regards to indie cinemas and smaller chains but I always had faith the cinema experience would find a way to survive this. It was inevitable as ultimately big blockbusters still create massive profit for all parties involved. A deal was always going to be struck at some point.
Last edited by Allstar on July 13th, 2020, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I just can't understand why studios aren't releasing their films outside the US...

Piracy wouldn't hurt the films at all. Who watches camrips seriously? Just don't release them on VOD until they're ready to be shown in the US

I'm ready to guess 99% of filmgoers aren't chasing spoilers on Reddit before going to the movies

Allstar wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 5:49 pm

Great!!! Relieved I was right that things would work itself out at least for now. Still not ideal for many reasons especially in regards to indie cinemas and smaller chains but I always had faith the cinema experience would find a way to survive this. It was inevitable as ultimately big blockbusters still create massive profit for all parties involved. A deal was always going to be struck at some point.
to be absolutely clear here, you weren't really "right." this deal is actually horrible. all it does is put them on life support for a while. the amount of interest owed by 2026 is lethal. AMC is still going down. they will have to do serious corporate restructuring if they want to survive the next couple years. I won't be surprised if AMC is bought by then.

This is very good news, overall.

As for releasing overseas, obviously folks like Nolan (and others) are too spoiler-averse to even consider that. And yes, piracy does hurt box office.

EDIT: To be clear here, I think they should release overseas, and I hope they reconsider their position. I just don't think it's that likely. It's all the same reasons why they want to release it at 95% of theaters domestically instead of a staggered release.

-Vader

A compromise must be made. Who’s gonna take one for the team?
You can’t the cake and eat it too.

Vader182 wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 6:30 pm
Allstar wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 5:49 pm

to be absolutely clear here, you weren't really "right." this deal is actually horrible. all it does is put them on life support for a while. the amount of interest owed by 2026 is lethal. AMC is still going down. they will have to do serious corporate restructuring if they want to survive the next couple years. I won't be surprised if AMC is bought by then.

This is very good news, overall.

As for releasing overseas, obviously folks like Nolan (and others) are too spoiler-averse to even consider that. And yes, piracy does hurt box office.

EDIT: To be clear here, I think they should release overseas, and I hope they reconsider their position. I just don't think it's that likely. It's all the same reasons why they want to release it at 95% of theaters domestically instead of a staggered release.

-Vader
Notice I said “at least for now” which is true. You said there was going to be no magic bullet. This is roughly the type of thing I was expecting to happen and I got criticized... saying “no they have to reopen soon or they will be be closed forever”. That’s literally what happened. This gives them enough time to not rush a reopen and once again, things will work itself and we will still be able to go see movies in the theater in the future. Movie theaters are not going anywhere in the near future, let’s just be happy instead of being pessimistic which you always accuse me of doing. No excuse not to delay Tenet now imo. As we all know things aren't close to ready in the U.S.

I mean...getting additional investment was one of the options I listed here and on twitter, and I'm glad they did. Nobody, or at least certainly not me, said "open theaters or they die instantly."

But between this and the 500 million private offering in April... it's really bad. Without new revenue, they're digging themselves into a deeper and deeper hole and they were already a debt ridden corporation with low profit margins. They will need to make serious changes internally and hopefully push studios for better terms.

As I say, this doesn't help AMC's prospects that much long term. I wish it did.

-Vader

You guys are both right. This is both horrible and yet life preserving.
Once, hopefully, things go back to normal in 2021, it will slowly get better.
But this is a chance for both Mulan and Tenet to gtfo into 'releases when it' s safe' zone and not play the 'cinematic treatment nobody really absolutely needs right now'.

The situation stinks and is horrible all around so I’m def in agreement there. I’ll still take good news in a bad situation.

I think there’s certain movies like A Quiet Place 2 for example that should consider PVOD.