Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Hi guys, I hope you're doing fine ! Just a piece of great news here ! :
discussingfilm.net/2020/03/22/alejandro ... -vermette/
Alejandro González Iñárritu has directed six feature films including ‘Amores Perros’ (2000), ’21 Grams’ (2003), ‘Babel’ (2006), ‘Biutiful’ (2010), ‘Birdman’ (2014) and ‘The Revenant’ (2015).

He was the first Mexican director to be nominated and win the Academy Award for Best Achivement In Directing, an award which he has won for ‘Birdman’ and ‘The Revenant’, both films were nominated for ‘Best Picture’ which ‘Birdman’ won as well as Best Original Screenplay.

Iñárritu has received thanks in the credits on multiple films including ‘Roma’, ‘Crimson Peak’, ‘The Shape of Water’, ‘Gravity’, ‘Pacific Rim’ among many more acclaimed films.

Recently, I was told by a source that Alejandro G. Iñárritu will direct a new independent film. Since then I have been contacting various sources and other reporters to try and put this jigsaw puzzle together. Another source confirmed to me that he will also write and produce the film.

Although I have not been able to get any concrete details regarding what production company is behind the film and who will distribute it, by taking a peek at Iñárritu’s previous two films, both were made by production company New Regency which could indicate that he would return to that same production company to work on his return to film. Fox has distributed his past two projects, ‘Birdman’ was distributed by Fox Searchlight (now named Searchlight Pictures) and ‘The Revenant’ was distributed by 20th Century Fox (now named 20th Century Studios). Although I believe that it is likely a distributor may not be attached just yet, I think Searchlight Pictures will definitely want to nab the distribution rights for this film given their previous work with the director. It should be stated though that New Regency no longer has a first look deal with Disney/Fox, which means IF Iñárritu is working with New Regency on this film, he may look at different studios to distribute at.

It is currently hard to say who will distribute and produce the film at this time so I will update this part of the article once I discover more information regarding it.

As for the crew for the film, I heard that cinematographer Bradford Young and production designer Patrice Vermette have joined the crew for the film. Young worked as the cinematographer on ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ as well as the highly-acclaimed ‘When They See Us’ limited series from Ava DuVernay and Netflix. Vermette is responsible for developing production design on ‘Sicario’, ‘Vice’ and most recently Denis Villeneuve’s ‘Dune’ remake.

In fact, Mexican news outlet El Universal confirmed that Bradford Young will serve as cinematographer for the film as Young and Iñárritu were reportedly spotted at the “Chapultepec Castle, Historic Center and on Televisa, where they used scenery from El Chavo Del 8 and figures of former presidents.” So it seems that Bradford Young and Alejandro G. Iñárritu were scouting and preparing potential shots in Mexico to assess if the locations would be viable for their shoot.

Iñárritu previously filmed his 2005 film ‘Babel’ in Mexico and given what him and Young were reported to be doing in Mexico, it seems very likely that he was scouting locations in Mexico for his upcoming film. However, we can expect that the project is likely on hiatus given the current coronavirus pandemic. One source told me that the film was expected to have wrapped production by 2021 but that may not be the case anymore if they cannot film this year.

As of now, we only know some parts of the puzzle to this jigsaw but I will be continuing to do research on the film and will be consistently updating this article with my new findings. What we do know for sure, Alejandro G. Iñárritu will be making his long awaited return to directing very soon.

Twenty-one years after his spectacular film debut, with “Amores Perros”, Alejandro González Iñárritu returned to Mexico City, where he was born 57 years ago, with a colossal production, tentatively titled “Limbo”. It is a drama that, like a kind of fable, exposes a vision of the filmmaker and producer about the political and social modernity of Mexico.

In this film, written by the director himself, and which will be spoken in Spanish, a Mexican cast collaborates, led by Daniel Giménez Cacho, as well as the Academy Award-winning art director, Eugenio Caballero, and the Oscar-nominated cinematographer, the Iranian Darius Khondji (“Evita”, “Se7en”, “Delicatessen”, “The Ninth Door”). Commanding a huge team, the winner of six Oscars will complete the first week of filming in the Historic Center. Yesterday he was a one-man orchestra in a day with around a hundred extras on Isabel La Católica street. In the sequences that were filmed, Giménez Cacho walks, in apparent confusion, among people lying on the floor.
https://www.latimes.com/espanol/entrete ... l-mexicana

No Chivo because he's busy shooting David O. Russell. :facepalm: Khondji is a great replacement.

Strange that Lubezki would miss both Cuaron and Inarritu's return to Mexico. Could it be he now prefers the comfort of a Hollywood environment?
But yes, Khondji is great, his works with Gray were very good.

Ex-ci-TED!

hmm, i figured the man himself would have commented on this by this point

Darius Khondji is elite :gonf:

Hype!!

will be interesting to see what ritu can do without lubeskey

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
June 28th, 2021, 3:51 pm
will be interesting to see what ritu can do without lubeskey
Khondji is a great DP, love his work on Lost city of Z or Magic in the moonlight. Inarritu+Khondji is an exciting duo to discover. (More exciting than Russell+Lubezki)

Alejandro G. Iñárritu’s next film will be titled Bardo (or False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths), Deadline has learned. The news comes as the five-time Oscar winner wraps production in Mexico City.

The feature penned by Iñárritu and his longtime collaborator Nicolás Giacobone is billed as a nostalgic comedy set against an epic journey. A chronicle of uncertainties where the main character, a renowned Mexican journalist and documentary filmmaker, returns to his native country to face his identity, familial relationships, and the folly of his memories, as well as the past and new reality of his country.

Daniel Jimenez Cacho and Griselda Siciliani star in the film, which marks Iñárritu’s return to his native country, 20 years after Amores Perros. Bardo comes on the heels of his Oscar winners The Revenant and Birdman, as well as his virtual installation Carne y Arena.

Oscar nominee Darius Khondji (Uncut Gems, Okja) photographed the indie produced by Iñárritu, with Oscar winner Eugenio Caballero (Roma, Pan’s Labyrinth) serving as production designer and Anna Terrazas (Roma, The Deuce) as costume designer.
https://deadline.com/2021/09/alejandro- ... 234843363/