The Last of Us (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ace
'The Last of Us' Series in the Works at HBO From 'Chernobyl' Creator Craig Mazin, Neil Druckmann

Craig Mazin, the creator of the acclaimed limited series Chernobyl, is reteaming with HBO adapt The Last of Us, the massive Sony PlayStation video game franchise.

In a rare development in the world of video game adaptations, the writer and creative director of the game, Neil Druckmann, is also involved, and will work with Mazin to pen and executive produce what is intended to be a series.

“From the first time I sat down to talk with Craig I was equally blown away by his approach to narrative and his love and deep understanding of The Last of Us,” said Druckmann in a statement. “With Chernobyl, Craig and HBO created a tense, harrowing, emotional masterpiece. I couldn’t think of better partners to bring the story of The Last of Us to life as a television show.”

“This is an incredibly exciting opportunity for us to partner with Craig, Neil, Carolyn and the teams at Sony, Naughty Dog and PlayStation to bring the virtual world of this acclaimed game to life,” stated HBO programming president Casey Bloys.

“This is the first of many shows we intend to develop with our friends at PlayStation Productions,” said Chris Parnell, co-president of Sony Pictures Television Studios. The Last of Us is a brilliant achievement in storytelling and character development, and we are lucky to have the opportunity to work with this team to adapt it.”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat ... or-1282707

Uno
Wow, didn't expect this!

That COMBO is insane

This is pretty awesome news.

okay sorry in advance for digging up this thread but i just saw on twitter this is in development and just had questions that i’m not even sure if anyone has answers to, but who cares i guess

i guess my number 1 question is - wouldn’t making this be redundant?

if the general consensus is that the last of us is not only one of the best video games of all time, but also one of the best stories told that transcends the medium it was told through, and it worked tremendously towards legitimizing video games as a ~real~ and ~legit~ artistic medium to tell stories on par as kinos, why is a tv show then needed to retell the same exact story? doesn’t that negate the entire point of this being precisely a video game, because it elevates the entire genre by managing to tell a rich and powerful story while also binding its audience (players) to a (emotional) bonding experience pretty much unique to video games? and like that it being what it is is already *enough* on its own? or would they tell an entirely different story set in the same universe, then again the word “adaptation” kinda gives it away that that’s likely not true. also what about the actors? i was under the impression people were really attached to the voice actors from the game

i know it’s really hip to love mazin (love him too) but i was just thinking out loud and as seeing to how this thread is really empty, was wondering what the fans of the franchise here really think

I feel the same way. What's the point really? I never saw the reason of adapting specific comic books to movies page for page but this is even weirder.

The only reason for this that I can get is non-playstation users who cannot play the game... but then again you can watch playthroughs on youtube.

I think they are on a very thin ice, this can go wrong in so many ways. The game fan base will probably have the biggest issues with this....and that fan base is massive!

Especially now that a huge chunk of it is likely to see the show as another chance for a new canon that rewrites Part II. This will renew tensions eventually.

Personally I would love to see this.