The Last of Us (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:
July 8th, 2020, 2:30 pm
I need to see the cast.

So far the team is right and HBO means budget, but the cast needs to seal the deal.

I'm far more excited for potential Part III in 7-10 years though.
Joel Edgerton for Joel. I’m not just saying this because his name is Joel lol.

Joel for Joel would be epic!

Ace

One person not involved with the show is former True Detective star Mahershala Ali, whom geek websites on Wednesday had pegged as having an offer. Ali did circle the role, say sources, but a deal ever came to fruition.

Not sure about the Ellie casting, she was basically a meme role on Thrones.

Pedro is great (big fan since day 1) but I was kind of in love with Joel (Edgerton) playing Joel so naturally I’m slightly underwhelmed.

Kaitlyn Dever would have been the perfect choice for Ellie a couple of years ago.

Master Virgo wrote:
February 12th, 2021, 2:14 am
Kaitlyn Dever would have been the perfect choice for Ellie a couple of years ago.
Agreed. Would have been amazing.

Ruth wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 1:06 pm
okay sorry in advance for digging up this thread but i just saw on twitter this is in development and just had questions that i’m not even sure if anyone has answers to, but who cares i guess

i guess my number 1 question is - wouldn’t making this be redundant?

if the general consensus is that the last of us is not only one of the best video games of all time, but also one of the best stories told that transcends the medium it was told through, and it worked tremendously towards legitimizing video games as a ~real~ and ~legit~ artistic medium to tell stories on par as kinos, why is a tv show then needed to retell the same exact story? doesn’t that negate the entire point of this being precisely a video game, because it elevates the entire genre by managing to tell a rich and powerful story while also binding its audience (players) to a (emotional) bonding experience pretty much unique to video games? and like that it being what it is is already *enough* on its own? or would they tell an entirely different story set in the same universe, then again the word “adaptation” kinda gives it away that that’s likely not true. also what about the actors? i was under the impression people were really attached to the voice actors from the game

i know it’s really hip to love mazin (love him too) but i was just thinking out loud and as seeing to how this thread is really empty, was wondering what the fans of the franchise here really think
The idea that video games need to be legitimized as an artistic medium is insulting to the industry as a whole. Video games, by their very own existence, are art. There’s this pretension that an artistic game is something that has to have a strong ‘cinematic’ or ‘novel-esque’ story, and that’s just simply not the case. Art itself (i.e. paintings) does not always tell a story, but there is no denying that it is art regardless. Art is not about telling a story. It is about invoking feelings. And even highly abstract games can do that. Would you deny that the people working on games like Galaga and Mortal Kombat were artists? Do you consider art to only apply to pieces that depict an event or story? Do you not consider music like The Well-Tempered Clavier to be art? I think it would be absurd to agree to these notions. With that in mind, I disagree adapting something delegitimizes the original medium. The adaptation relates to the original in what it sources, and that may be story, but even if duplicated exactly, that is just one expression, one quality of the whole. After all, how different is every film version of A Christmas Carol? In the end, the adaptation becomes new art, a completely different work that can exist independently, and if it is truly good, it may overshadow the original. Would that really be a bad thing?

what is even a meme role

Nomis wrote:
February 17th, 2021, 7:00 am
what is even a meme role
A role that is only popular because it inspires memes.

but she was popular in the role when people first saw her. then came the memes.

It's not a chicken or egg situation, the egg (in this case her performance) came first. Then the chicken (the memes you see).