Don't Look Up (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

62% on RT

52/100 on Metacritic

So it’s as obnoxious as it appeared in the trailers. A rare miss by Leo.

Vice was quite the letdown for me after The Big Short. The Shakespeare scene in it was so cringy. The trailer for this seemed to go down that unfortunate route, just taking the misplaced comedy further... it's a shame, because The Big Short felt refreshing, but it might've been the interesting story (and lovely Bale).

The Big short was so great, like I learnt stuff, I laughed, and I was deeply moved especially by Carrell's character. Everything one can hope to do in 2 hours.
Talladega nights is one of the funniest comedy of its decade.
But Vice was a mess, the problem was possibly that he hated all his characters, while he really cared about the characters in TBS, which brought a lot of complexity to the film.
I don't know about DLU, I feel the cast is too good to be true. Like only Wes Anderson could give satisfying parts to all these actors in the same film.

I really enjoyed this movie. Is the global warming metaphor very on the nose? Of course it is, but considering how deep we are into it and how shockingly little people seem to care, a blatant approach is pretty much the most obvious approach. It doesn't hurt that the pandemic and people's action during it has enhanced the initial metaphor.

But that's not the strength of the film, the biggest strength is editing and entertainment factor. The movie is almost 2 and a half hours long but it really blows by fast. McKay has an amazing sense of timing, which obviously helped him in comedy but it also allows him to tackle more serious territory in a very entertaining way. The Big Short is still his best - or at least his best drama, since the brilliance of Step Brothers is equally good to say the least - but this is a welcome return to form after the kinda disappointing Vice.

It's not going to be a movie for everyone. Some people won't enjoy it for political reasons and some will have issues with how blatant the movie is, or how it dehumanizes the anti-vax/karen/FOX/celebrity communities. However, as I said, with how ridiculous reality has gotten, this gut punch was probably the only way to go.

DiCaprio is the MVP of the film but Lawrence is really good as are Rob Morgan, Cate Blanchett and Mark Rylance. Streep, Perlman and Hill get the short end of the stick by playing the most cartoonish characters (other than the out of place Ariana Grande but that's mostly a cameo).

LelekPL wrote:
December 10th, 2021, 7:40 pm
I really enjoyed this movie. Is the global warming metaphor very on the nose? Of course it is, but considering how deep we are into it and how shockingly little people seem to care, a blatant approach is pretty much the most obvious approach. It doesn't hurt that the pandemic and people's action during it has enhanced the initial metaphor.

But that's not the strength of the film, the biggest strength is editing and entertainment factor. The movie is almost 2 and a half hours long but it really blows by fast. McKay has an amazing sense of timing, which obviously helped him in comedy but it also allows him to tackle more serious territory in a very entertaining way. The Big Short is still his best - or at least his best drama, since the brilliance of Step Brothers is equally good to say the least - but this is a welcome return to form after the kinda disappointing Vice.

It's not going to be a movie for everyone. Some people won't enjoy it for political reasons and some will have issues with how blatant the movie is, or how it dehumanizes the anti-vax/karen/FOX/celebrity communities. However, as I said, with how ridiculous reality has gotten, this gut punch was probably the only way to go.

DiCaprio is the MVP of the film but Lawrence is really good as are Rob Morgan, Cate Blanchett and Mark Rylance. Streep, Perlman and Hill get the short end of the stick by playing the most cartoonish characters (other than the out of place Ariana Grande but that's mostly a cameo).
Agreed. It’s a 3.5/5 movie. It’s on the nose and obvious and not great but I was really entertained and laughed, it’s solid. DiCaprio was great as always and his monologue was a top 10 acting moment of his career. Lawrence was good too. Some critics were far too harsh on this imo. Rylance was a delight in such a different role. Did not like Streep though.
ChristNolan wrote:
December 8th, 2021, 3:39 pm
A rare miss by Leo.
Kind of like how Tenet was a rare miss for Nolan.

Really loved Lawrence in this movie.

Pioneerr wrote:
January 1st, 2022, 7:16 am
Really loved Lawrence in this movie.
I liked her quite a bit too. I’d put it as her 3rd best performance after Winter’s Bone and Silver Linings Playbook.

I don't know what to make of it. On one hand, it's satire, but like ... is it really? I mean this seems to fairly portray the current sociopolitical climate in the US. It's a film that feels like the reaction to it may be perhaps more important or more telling than the work itself.

But it felt like it often devolved into stoner comedy territory, especially with the end-credit scene. In the same way Tenet feels like Nolan completely unrestrained, creatively (to a fault), this feels like an equally unshackled effort from Adam McKay. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it makes you think, "ok calm down dude."

Lawrence was probably the standout performance.

Leo seemed almost ... idk, miscast? The rant his character had seems like perhaps the only reason he wanted to do this film. Otherwise, it's a muted and uninspired performance from him, which is especially jarring considering he's had a recent run of "louder" roles.