Don't Look Up (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Demoph wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 9:50 am

@Allstar, she already did Mother so... It doesn't get much more "auteur" than that in Hollywood.
Agreed but I think she’s going to be more consistent in this regard going forward.

I have a link to the script if anyone is interested.

I hope this is a return to form, not another Vice...

I think trading scripts on here isn’t encouraged as per rules, but personally I’d love a spoiler-free short character descriptions lol. I’m really curious as to who is playing who.

I’m trying to forget McKay is aiming for a Dr. Strangelove and Network type of thing, because I feel like I’d just end up hyping myself way too hard lol.

Nomis wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 7:38 am
I hope this is a return to form, not another Vice...
I enjoyed Vice, if only to see great acting performances, and because McKay's films are always so much fun, but the emotional side of it didn't really work, which was a big letdown since I was very moved by Carell's character in The big short.
My issue is not so much how much liberty he took with the narration, becuase TBS also took a lot, but that it just didn't stick the landing emotionnally.

I read the script, one thing I will say is I can’t believe McKay wrote this BEFORE the pandemic. It’s almost prophetic. If anyone has any specific questions lemme know.

Allstar wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 3:59 pm
I read the script, one thing I will say is I can’t believe McKay wrote this BEFORE the pandemic. It’s almost prophetic. If anyone has any specific questions lemme know.
Also read it! Really fun! I loved the ending and Streep's character is just glorious. Also a good part for Leo. Really looking forward to it but I'm expecting it to be divisive

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 7:10 pm
Allstar wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 3:59 pm
Also read it! Really fun! I loved the ending and Streep's character is just glorious. Also a good part for Leo. Really looking forward to it but I'm expecting it to be divisive
I thought it was good, not great but could become great with rewrites and improv (which McKay is known for). Will def be fun. Also, an extremely different role for Leo, the guy is just like an average joe nerdy dude with anxiety and social awkwardness. Would never have guessed him for this role. Jlaw it seems like the role was just written for her it’s so easy to see her in it, her character is a bit one note with no real arc. Leo’s role has much more dimension. Jonah Hill is basically playing Jared Kushner and Meryl a female Trump lol. Also, the Leo/Cate scenes are going to be amazing lol, Aviator reunion!

Doing something fun like this is actually probably a good idea for Leo when he next heads into the incredibly heavy and dramatic Killers of the Flower Moon.

And in a good way I think this is way more wacky and fun than Big Short.