All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
BAFTA winner and Emmy nominee Edward Berger (Patrick Melrose, Jack, Deutschland ’83) will direct a new adaptation of Erich Maria Remarque's All Quiet On The Western Front.
Daniel Bruehl is set to star the ensemble cast and will executive produce. Rocket Science is handling worldwide sales.

The screenplay is written by Ian Stokell and Lesley Paterson. The story follows teenagers Paul Baumer and his friends Albert and Muller, who – egged on by romantic dreams of heroism – voluntarily enlist in the German army. Full of excitement and patriotic fervour, the boys enthusiastically march into a war they believe in. But once on the Western Front, they discover the soul-destroying horror of World War I.

Berger said:
“It is a physical, visceral and very modern film that has never been told from my country’s perspective, it has never been made into a German-language film. We now have the chance to make an anti-war film that will truly touch our audience.”
The film will be produced by Malte Grunert (The Aftermath, Land of Mine, A Most Wanted Man) of Amusement Park, and Daniel Dreifuss (Sergio, No). Casting is underway for the lead role of Baumer.

Grunert said:
“All Quiet on the Western Front to this day is indeed the definitive novel about war and the utter senselessness of it. War knows no heroes. One hundred years after its publication ‘All Quiet on the Western Front’ has retained all its impact and power. In the hands of Edward, it will be a very meaningful and contemporary take on the story, a powerful film and an impressive cinematic experience.”
source

One of my all time favorite books. Deserves a proper modern adaptation imo.

Indeed! This book made a huge impression on me. I've seen the 1930 adaptation and I must say it was quite an alright adaptation but I think there's more that can be accomplished. I haven't seen the 1979 one yet.

I hope they get quite a big budget.

wow i'm so over all these WWI movies!

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 1:04 pm
wow i'm so over all these WWI movies!
ur banned

chekhov 3 †

Nominated for 14 BAFTAs.

I only watched the 1930 version and I don't think there's a need for me to watch this newer version, as the 1930 version is a close to perfect anti-war film.

I recently rewatched the 1930 version. Both are equally impressive in their own way.