Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I'm a bit disheartened that this won't get a theatrical release - or at least a traditional one. Nevertheless, Netflix are the king of the film industry atm and Johnson and Craig would be fools not to get foothold with them. Plus, it works well for Netflix as they can lay claim to a genuine theatrical franchise. For this reason, pivoting the Knives Out films to Netflix may actually be a genius move, especially as there is no given that the theatrical business is going to bounce back. Plus, more of Daniel hamming it up as Beniot is no bad thing (though I hope he does something serious again...)

I also think that Netflix will spare no expense in getting the glitziest cast possible. I mean they are already forking out to shoot the whole thing in Greece! Also, all the big stars are out of work looking for projects and this film gives them a free holiday. If you thought Knives Out had a stacked cast, I think the sequel will be bananas.

I'm hoping that the Greece location means that Rian will add a more Hitchockian sense of glamour to proceedings. Wouldn't it be great to have Gal Gadot or Scarlett Johansson play a femme fatale. Someone trying to seduce Blanc.....

LuciusNightmare wrote:
April 1st, 2021, 5:53 am
I'm hoping that the Greece location means that Rian will add a more Hitchockian sense of glamour to proceedings. Wouldn't it be great to have Gal Gadot or Scarlett Johansson play a femme fatale. Someone trying to seduce Blanc.....
Never say never, but after seeing Knives Out many times, it doesn't seem like the kind of film that needs this sort of clichéd romantic / femme fatale subplot... the first film had zero of this going on, Ana de Armas wasn't sexualized in any way, and the rest of the cast was just a bunch of arrogantly and annoyingly American douches, so I think your idea is pretty far from what Knives Out was. I mean, yeah, it would be comical to see a woman trying to seduce Blanc, who in my mind seems almost asexual, but I wouldn't want to push this any further than that. And I definitely don't want to see these highly sexualized femme fatales, I mean Craig already has a franchise that works with those tropes anyway.

Very true.

I think my comment was inelegantly put. I don't necessarily want Blanc to have a romantic subplot, I merely meant that it be fun to see Johnson subvert a Hitchock-esque Euro-centric film. I know it was an Adam Sandler film, but 'Murder Mystery' was actually a very decent example of this and it more than entertained. I'd imagine Rian Johnson's spin will be much more intelligent and witty.

I'm also hoping that Lakeith returns as Watson to Blanc's Holmes....

DHOPW42 wrote:
April 1st, 2021, 6:58 am
LuciusNightmare wrote:
April 1st, 2021, 5:53 am
Never say never, but after seeing Knives Out many times, it doesn't seem like the kind of film that needs this sort of clichéd romantic / femme fatale subplot... the first film had zero of this going on, Ana de Armas wasn't sexualized in any way, and the rest of the cast was just a bunch of arrogantly and annoyingly American douches, so I think your idea is pretty far from what Knives Out was. I mean, yeah, it would be comical to see a woman trying to seduce Blanc, who in my mind seems almost asexual, but I wouldn't want to push this any further than that. And I definitely don't want to see these highly sexualized femme fatales, I mean Craig already has a franchise that works with those tropes anyway.
I think the point of the original KnivesOut was to subvert and undercut the romance of the genre. But, I could see JOhnson pull on some 70s international mystery movies, the most obvious being the pink panther. Less Romance, more farce.

So this wasn't an April Fool's joke? Lol, what? 400 million for two sequels to a mildly successfull movie (financially)? Are they crazy?

I liked Knive's Out but a surefire franchise this is not. Craig's character can work as a Holmes/Poiroit but there's really zero guarantee that the sequel's mystery will be as fresh and engaging as in the first one to spend such an absurd amount of money for it.

But good for Johnson, I guess. I'm not sure how much he'll get from that deal and how much Lionsgate is going to get, though.

The "mildly successful film" made 311M on a budget of 40M, it's fair to say that after home market, streaming and TV money it made a profit of around 150M-200M. And it was a big hit with audience, which means even a higher gross is expected for the sequels.

So yeah, there's that.

Relativity. By mildly successful, I meant in comparison to James Bond, which they were willing to only put out only 300 million dollars. Obviously, Knives Out was a success for a mid-budget production. You can compare it to Get Out or Us. But a blockbuster in the vein of James Bond it is not. That's why it's so shocking.

The Bond deal was a compromise offered by the streaming services, because they thought they can make benefit of the troubled situation for No Time to Die. In a normal circumstance they wouldn't attempt to buy a pricey movie like that.

It's not at all the same situation with Knives Out. If Lionsgate expects to make around 350M in profit from the next two sequels, then those are the numbers that Netflix is supposed to top.