Untitled Michael Jackson Biopic (TBA)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
It's from the producer of Rhapsody. They want to ride that train. They won't be able to do it if they won't glorify a hugely popular music icon who probably had some character flaws at worst.

radewart wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 9:19 pm
It will show his trials and accusations, but portray it as Jackson's being the target of extortion schemes and vindicated in the end.
Pass

TeddyBlass wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 7:25 pm
bootsy wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 4:09 pm
TeddyBlass wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 1:16 pm
Can't wait for the Bill Cosby biopic that overlooks all of his crimes and ugliness...
Where does it say that this film is overlooking those things.

Right. The Jackson family signed off on a movie that details his dark side. Ha.
HAHA . So nice to amuse yourself. :roll: Goodness that is not even close to what I said or what was said in that article. This movie is not going to go into a deep dive of Jackson's darkness. Like I said they have to talk about it. The TV movie about the Jackson's that came out in the 90s touched on some of this and the general public knows about this so they can't hide that. That would foolish.

Also what are you expecting from the movie. There is more to Jackson's life then his dark side. Do you expect 2+ hours of trials and Jackson bleaching his skin. Yeah that's going to sell. If you don't like this then don't go see it if it ever comes out. It's that simple.
TeddyBlass wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 12:54 am
radewart wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 9:19 pm
It will show his trials and accusations, but portray it as Jackson's being the target of extortion schemes and vindicated in the end.
Pass
Oh my. I want a whole move of trials or else. :judge:
Last edited by bootsy on November 25th, 2019, 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master Virgo wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 1:25 pm
John Logan is doing this? :blank:
Same reaction. What the hell is he doing there and can he save it?

I don't want to see a movie about Michael Jackson at all. That is my point. I also think its gross that one would be made given the details that have come to light in recent years.

TeddyBlass wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 8:48 pm
I don't want to see a movie about Michael Jackson at all. That is my point. I also think its gross that one would be made given the details that have come to light in recent years.
I agree, but the man still has a large, passionate fan base that is obsessive about defending his legacy. Factor them in and with the curiosity factor with others and the movie will likely still be a financial hit.

TeddyBlass wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 1:16 pm
Can't wait for the Bill Cosby biopic that overlooks all of his crimes and ugliness...
You mean like the biopics on John Lennon, Jimmy Page, Miles Davis, Sid Vicious, Elvis Presley did?

Never understood why some black people would even claim or so aggressively defend a fella who tried his damn hardest to look like a white person.

What kind of a message it is for young black people that the king of pop who's black desperately wants to look attractive by white standards.

If it was the other way around I could understand, but doing that against your own kind who have been oppressed for years and have been told that they look inferior, and their different physical attributes have been mocked and cartoonized by the racist society that they were forced to live in...eh sorry but you were just a disgrace bro.

Edit: That video is hilarious btw. Thanks for making my day by posting it Nomis.

Master Virgo wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 11:59 am
Never understood why some black people would even claim or so aggressively defend a fella who tried his damn hardest to look like a white person.

What kind of a message it is for young black people that the king of pop who's black desperately wants to look attractive by white standards.

If it was the other way around I could understand, but doing that against your own kind who have been oppressed for years and have been told that they look inferior, and their different physical attributes have been mocked and cartoonized by the racist society that they were forced to live in...eh sorry but you were just a disgrace bro.

Edit: That video is hilarious btw. Thanks for making my day by posting it Nomis.
No, it's a lot more complicated than that. And I'm by no means trying to defend MJ.

Would you say the same thing about Beyonce? Or any other black artist who is/was trying to appear more appealing to mainstream and/or white audiences to achieve success?

When the hatred of your people/culture has been so deeply rooted into the mindset of a country, to the point where its become a cultural feat of its own, why are we so surprised that at least some of these people will have internalized issues about it? They don't have to be "a disgrace" or maliciously anti-black to hold some troubling views about their own identities. This odd necessity to hold black people accountable for not being pro black enough is not a productive way to discuss the ways racism has permeated Western culture, imo. I look at it in a similar way I'd look to a black woman who was straightening her hair to "assimilate" and look "professional" enough to hold a fucking job, because natural black hair is seen as "dirty" and unprofessional. Would it be okay to say that woman hates herself or her race?

And I'm not saying MJ is not a case of internalized racism, because by all accounts it very much seems so, but it's also only very recent when we've become more comfortable with black artists being as unapologetic as possible about loving themselves. We love black art, but we don't love black artists who seem too unwelcoming to white people, so we've forced them to morph themselves into the kind of black artists all people love because they use their culture to entertain and love their culture, but not too much so that it seems bothersome. Also, I feel like it's a pretty established notion that MJ was very likely (very) mentally ill, so I guess that's also important to remember when discussing his troublesome views around his cultural/racial identity.

Also, why would black people hold onto protecting MJ? I mean, look at it this way. Black people, as in black people in America especially, don't nearly have enough people who have achieved such insane amounts of success worldwide. And then you have someone like him, and you are proud, and more willing to overlook the bad things (especially before they were even as known as they are now). For a culture so thoroughly dehumanized over the centuries, I do understand the collective need to have "your" people that can bring you a unifying sense of pride. My 2 cents lol.

p.s. this was all said with my personal feelings about him set aside. personally i cannot bring myself to listen to his music anymore