Licorice Pizza (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Paul Thomas Anderson is returning to his San Fernando Valley roots to make a new film set in the 1970s, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The untitled film will be centered on a high school student who is also a successful child actor. Anderson will write, direct and produce the project through his Ghoulardi Film Company banner. Sources say casting is underway to find the lead and the project features a multitude of roles and could be ensemble in nature or have intersecting storylines.

Sources say Anderson's project, named in the California Film Commission's list of 13 films shooting in the state next year, is planning to go into production in February 2020.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... on-1254077

In, obviously but

How is it possible that PTA gets to keep making films if like most of his films bomb at the BO?

People just really like working with him and I assume he talks to the right people too.

Nomis wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 12:41 pm
How is it possible that PTA gets to keep making films if like most of his films bomb at the BO?
god exists?

It's a weak god though, otherwise the fella would have been given the helm of tentpole films. Which is something he loves to do.

Like imagine if they were smart enough to give Joker to him.

yes let disney absorb all the auteurs what a utopia
Nomis wrote:
In, obviously but

vice is the only one that underperformed by a sizeable amount. everything else has either broke even or done well

Inherent Vice, Magnolia, The Master, Phantom Thread, Punch,-Drunk Love, were all flops.

Blood and Boogie did merely OKish theatrically.

Ruth wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 1:16 pm
Nomis wrote:
god exists?
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 2:17 pm
yes let disney absorb all the auteurs what a utopia
Nomis wrote:
In, obviously but

vice is the only one that underperformed by a sizeable amount. everything else has either broke even or done well
I guess marketing isn't exactly expensive for his films? Otherwise I guess so.

Anyway, it would be great if PTA gets a huge BO hit but I don't think he will get that if he doesn't tap into something more... Idk what to call it but the next genre that comes to mind which could become a BO hit is horror lol

I think you people keep assuming that studios get to to keep the entirety of the gross to themselves. Not so. Ideally half the gross still goes to theater owners. Outside US, company's share can be reduced to 25% (China).

And prints and advertising costs are typically somewhere around 50-100% of the production budget. In some case it even exceeds the PB.

Interstellar grossed $680M on a PB of $165M. But the prifit isn't $515M l, it was $47M according to Deadline.

The Last Jedi made $417M and The Force Awakens made $780M in profit, etc.

tbh with all the money that is constantly wasted on actually awful shit that also flopped financially, i’d rather not question how PTA makes it happen and just be happy that it’s part of our reality