⊃∪∩⪽ ρ⩀⊇⊤ ⊤⟒⊙ (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
John Spaihts will step down as showrunner on HBO Max' ⊃∪∩⪽ : The Sisterhood. He will stay on as executive producer. Spaihts will instead write the as of yet untitled sequel to Villeneuve's ⊃∪∩⪽ .

source

Villeneuve
"We have been hearing in the past few decades that it’s not possible to adapt this book, and that it’s an impossible task. I think that in the back of the mind of the studio, it’s still the same!" Villeneuve says with a hearty laugh.

"So the first thing was to prove that there was a beautiful, popular movie that can exist, and I think that I proved that – everybody at Warner Bros and Legendary, they are 100 percent behind the project. They feel that it would need a really bad outcome at the box office to not have a Dune: Part Two, because they love the movie. They are proud of the movie, so they want the movie to move forward. And they still did half of it. So, you know, I’m very optimistic."

"I’m writing [Part Two] now, and I feel like I’m eight years old again," he says, flashing a childlike grin. "That’s very uncommon for me. It’s the first time I’ve experienced it where I’m watching one of my movies, and I have a moment of deep gratitude, of deep joy, and I say, 'Thank you, life, for having allowed me to bring that to the screen.' [laughs] I don’t know how other people will feel about it. But me? Denis Villeneuve when he was 14 years old? Thank you."

Nomis wrote:
August 17th, 2021, 3:26 pm
Villeneuve
"We have been hearing in the past few decades that it’s not possible to adapt this book, and that it’s an impossible task. I think that in the back of the mind of the studio, it’s still the same!" Villeneuve says with a hearty laugh.

"So the first thing was to prove that there was a beautiful, popular movie that can exist, and I think that I proved that – everybody at Warner Bros and Legendary, they are 100 percent behind the project. They feel that it would need a really bad outcome at the box office to not have a Dune: Part Two, because they love the movie. They are proud of the movie, so they want the movie to move forward. And they still did half of it. So, you know, I’m very optimistic."

"I’m writing [Part Two] now, and I feel like I’m eight years old again," he says, flashing a childlike grin. "That’s very uncommon for me. It’s the first time I’ve experienced it where I’m watching one of my movies, and I have a moment of deep gratitude, of deep joy, and I say, 'Thank you, life, for having allowed me to bring that to the screen.' [laughs] I don’t know how other people will feel about it. But me? Denis Villeneuve when he was 14 years old? Thank you."
In the climate where Kevin Smith and Rian Johnson take their big IP and attack fans, it is rare to see Denis Villeneuve, a genuine fan of the dune books! He honors Frank Herbert and won't turn it into something Frank Herbert's family wouldn't recognize! I hope it's a smash!

RockyBalboa wrote:
August 20th, 2021, 8:47 am
Nomis wrote:
Villeneuve

In the climate where Kevin Smith and Rian Johnson take their big IP and attack fans, it is rare to see Denis Villeneuve, a genuine fan of the dune books! He honors Frank Herbert and won't turn it into something Frank Herbert's family wouldn't recognize! I hope it's a smash!
Or maybe fans are entitled man-children who should not hurl abuse at creative people like Johnson and Smith for creative decisions they make.

Batfan175 wrote:
August 20th, 2021, 8:28 pm
RockyBalboa wrote:
Nomis wrote:
Villeneuve
Or maybe fans are entitled man-children who should not hurl abuse at creative people like Johnson and Smith for creative decisions they make.
Fans invest years of their time and money on this stuff. We have the right to criticize them! They don't deserve any respect Ruin Johnson butchered Luke Skywalker, and Kevin Smith lied about being a He-Man fan. and they are egomaniac fools for criticizing the fans instead of owning up saying their product is dreadful!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/maste ... revelation

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_w ... _last_jedi

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_w ... _skywalker

Read The Audience Scores Terrio had to clean up Johnson's mess!

This could lead to a conversation down the rabbit hole, but to put it short: it's not a black-or-white issue regarding fans and artists / pieces of art. Star Wars especially is a corporate property that needs to satisfy a mainstream audience to be profitable for thw company - in 2015 the franchise wasn't really a ground for artistic innovation and bold decisions. More precisely, Disney needed to balance artistic vision and a "safe" approach. For Episode 8 - for some reason - they decided to give the film to Johnson who in turn decided to push the boundaries of that safe approach further. It was a moment when artistic vision slightly overcame the corporate needs, I think, and consequently this was perceived as an attack on the fans. But to attack a filmmaker (an artist) who proves that he is more than just a servant to corporate goals is extremely anti-art and, thus, anti-human in my mind. I think the value of having an artist who doesn't shy away from attacking "existing values" (which are the values perceived by so-called fans) is much greater than the value of... fans. Even if fans are valuable for the corporation (although, I think those agressive and offensive fans of SW who attacked Johnson are, in reality, in minority compared to general audiences and moderate fans of the franchise. But they were much louder online, making it seem that they make up the majority of SW fans).

RockyBalboa wrote:
August 21st, 2021, 2:05 am
Batfan175 wrote:
RockyBalboa wrote:

Fans invest years of their time and money on this stuff. We have the right to criticize them! They don't deserve any respect Ruin Johnson butchered Luke Skywalker, and Kevin Smith lied about being a He-Man fan. and they are egomaniac fools for criticizing the fans instead of owning up saying their product is dreadful!

And directors invest years of their time making animated tv shows. Do you even know how long it takes to make those? Methinks your gatekeeping is showing. As if Kevin Smith of all people wasn't a fan himself just because he *gasp* gave Teela 5 episodes as the protagonist. That's actually what something like MoTU needs more of: a change-up because otherwise it's no longer culturally relevant.
Without Star Wars being as successful as it was in the 80s for changing things around, the studios would have backed endless Planet of the Apes-style knock-offs because that was the most financially successful sci-fi film series at the time and we would not have gotten new and interesting sci-fi films and the film landscape would look very different today.

Also, audiences giving bad reviews on RT to stuff they have not seen is nothing new either lol. If anyone's the egomaniac it's these Kathy Bates-style lunatics online harassing actors and directors because they did not cater to them specifically.

Batfan175 wrote:
August 21st, 2021, 3:18 am
RockyBalboa wrote:
August 21st, 2021, 2:05 am
Batfan175 wrote:

And directors invest years of their time making animated tv shows. Do you even know how long it takes to make those? Methinks your gatekeeping is showing. As if Kevin Smith of all people wasn't a fan himself just because he *gasp* gave Teela 5 episodes as the protagonist. That's actually what something like MoTU needs more of: a change-up because otherwise it's no longer culturally relevant.
Without Star Wars being as successful as it was in the 80s for changing things around, the studios would have backed endless Planet of the Apes-style knock-offs because that was the most financially successful sci-fi film series at the time and we would not have gotten new and interesting sci-fi films and the film landscape would look very different today.

Also, audiences giving bad reviews on RT to stuff they have not seen is nothing new either lol. If anyone's the egomaniac it's these Kathy Bates-style lunatics online harassing actors and directors because they did not cater to them specifically.
My film history class discussed how tone-deaf in 2017 Rian Johnson was to segregate Rey from Poe and Finn. It was an odd decision after TFA setting up Rey to be with Finn, and Rian tossed all that out and planted the seeds for her to be with Ben, and he never revealed the Knights of Ren. Or Snoke's backstory. Johnson mishandled Rey's lineage. Thank God for Chris Terrio!

RockyBalboa wrote:
August 21st, 2021, 6:56 am
My film history class discussed how tone-deaf in 2017 Rian Johnson was to segregate Rey from Poe and Finn. It was an odd decision after TFA setting up Rey to be with Finn, and Rian tossed all that out and planted the seeds for her to be with Ben, and he never revealed the Knights of Ren. Or Snoke's backstory. Johnson mishandled Rey's lineage. Thank God for Chris Terrio!
I'm not sure about your film history teacher, I guess he/she is alright, but when I compare Rian Johnson's work with Chris Terrio's (Knives Out vs. the worst blockbusters of the past few years, including Justice League and Rise of the Skywalker), I think I'll just trust my instincts over the supposed film historian examination of Rey's lineage. I really don't want to come off as someone who simply disses your opinion, but I think you are looking at this whole thing from a weird point of view.

For example, I am really glad that the Internet wasn't around in full force when The Lord of the Rings trilogy was made, because so called fans would've torn those beautiful films apart in a second. The films mess up timelines, they change characters, they make up plots that never were in the books. Some of those changes aren't even good. But it's Peter Jackson's goddamn LOTR trilogy, a gemstone of modern blockbusters, hugely influential and instant classic fantasy flicks. They work because they are full of heart, not because they are 100% faithful to whatever fans think the books are about. (well, the films are faithful to the books' core message, but you get the point)