⊃∪∩⪽ ρ⩀⊇⊤ ⊤⟒⊙ (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Just got out of part 1. I am ready for this. Give it to me now. Straight into my blood. Need to read the book now.

While Part Two‘s green light is amazing news, you now have a release date in less than two years. So how far along are you?

It’s fantastic news, but it’s also kind of a burden. The good news is that a lot of the work has been done already regarding design, casting, locations and writing. So we’re not starting from scratch. It’s not a long period of time, but I will try to face that challenge because it’s important for me that the audience sees Part Two as soon as possible. It’s not a sequel where it’s another episode or another story with the same characters. It actually has direct continuity to the first movie. It’s the second part of the big, huge movie that I’m trying to do. So, the sooner the better.

Could cameras start rolling in the spring, potentially? Or is that too soon?

No, that’s too soon. We still have a lot of work to do. It’d probably be more toward fall, and even that would be fast. (Laughs.)
More of the interview with The Hollywood Reporter here

Great interview! Can't wait to see the part II. Denis has made a monumental movie!! And yes, when you see the end of the film, you can feel that in a certain way, you just saw the half of a movie, in fact, it's called "part I" so the two parts will constitute between them one big film.
Hope he'll able to achieve his Dune trilogy, and already excited to see what his post-Dune filmography will look like.

Wishing them best of luck with shooting in the desert in the summer :twothumbsup:

Not if they shoot interiors first :D Keep in mind I haven't read the book yet so I don't what the hell I'm talking about but oooof shooting in deserts during summer will be exhausting.

Nomis wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 7:13 am

Wishing them best of luck with shooting in the desert in the summer :twothumbsup:
So excited for the next part of this great adventure!

Tarssauce wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 9:59 am
Not if they shoot interiors first :D Keep in mind I haven't read the book yet so I don't what the hell I'm talking about but oooof shooting in deserts during summer will be exhausting.
lol true, they shot exteriors in the desert first with Part I, then interiors, then Norway exteriors at the end. Can't wait to find out which location will stand-in for Kaitain (homeworld of the Emperor).

Guessing photography will probably last four months? Just like with the first one. That'd mean wrap in November 2022 and then less than a year to release. IIRC for films of this caliber they need to have it in the can a month before release so that brings it to ten months lol, would be best to start editing while shooting then... It's going to be a pickle lol

Nomis wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 10:50 am
lol true, they shot exteriors in the desert first with Part I, then interiors, then Norway exteriors at the end. Can't wait to find out which location will stand-in for Kaitain (homeworld of the Emperor).

Guessing photography will probably last four months? Just like with the first one. That'd mean wrap in November 2022 and then less than a year to release. IIRC for films of this caliber they need to have it in the can a month before release so that brings it to ten months lol, would be best to start editing while shooting then... It's going to be a pickle lol
No pressure lol!

If I'm not mistaken, Joe Walker started editing as they were shooting. And I think he said the fight with Jamis at the end hasn't changed since he initially edited it. I guess they most strategize and shoot the VFX heavy sequences first. Fingers crossed they get it done on time.

Tarssauce wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 11:26 am
No pressure lol!

If I'm not mistaken, Joe Walker started editing as they were shooting. And I think he said the fight with Jamis at the end hasn't changed since he initially edited it. I guess they most strategize and shoot the VFX heavy sequences first. Fingers crossed they get it done on time.
Where did you read that? I mean it makes sense if the script is really specific in how it has to happen, it had to be very well orchestrated for them to be able to pull it off.

In this article about the VFX they had to reframe some 29 shots specifically for the 1.43 version as the 2.39 version. It's something that I think Nolan has never done but it's quite something for the VFX crew to have to sort of replace things so it is well framed. Which is why I think chances of them shooting the entire sequel in full frame is probably not going to happen. But I really hope they try to do that. I mean look at this 1.43 shot:

The article also said that the idea to print the film on analog and scan the negative back in was only possible because of the pushed back release date. Fingers crossed they manage to do it this time as well. Maybe even with 65mm, if that gives them any other advantages of blending digital with film.

There's bound to be just as many if not more VFX-shots in the sequel btw.

Nomis wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 12:27 pm

Where did you read that? I mean it makes sense if the script is really specific in how it has to happen, it had to be very well orchestrated for them to be able to pull it off.
I think he talked about it here:

To be honest, I’m not happy they shot anamorphic on this. It doesn’t make sense to me but they wanted to mix formats. Kinda hoping they shoot the entirety of Dune Part Two 1.43:1 but they want the impact of the shifting ratios.

And I’m not sure about the film out either lol. It doesn’t has the sheen of digital yet it’s not as crisp as 65mm IMAX film. I still think it looked stunning but I’d love to see the before and after of that effect.