House of the Dragon (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Episode 7 is the best so far, just like in GOT S1 (though, I also love S1 E2 of GOT). This season is very strong. Emma D'Arcy is going to be a star.
D'Arcy, Smith and Cooke are real strong leads. But Considine is again the MVP. The way he plays Viserys'lack of leadership, and that feeling that everything he has built is falling apart and that he is powerless to stop it is so fascinating.
Also, saw the episode on my computer and had no problem with the lighting. Sapochnik reamins the best in my book. The way he stages scenes with dozens of key characters is a marvel to see.I'm quite sad he may never direct a big battle during the Dance, though I understand his reasons.

The show keeps going from strength to strength.
Paddy Considine
gave a stellar performance throughout the season and deserves all the Emmies for this. The episode moved me to tears at multiple points. Matt Smith's Daemon also showing way more nuance and compassion than you would have thought when he first showed up in episode 1 (which is not to say that he's not despicable at other points).

Also watch out for Aemond. That guy's intense.

The best moments of the episode do involve Viserys and people's reactions to (and interactions with) him. This is also where the time jumps are an advantage because, knowing what we know, we can now buy the weight of those years of responsibility on that man's shoulders as he struggles to climb the steps to the Iron Throne.

I have seen some people be somewhat dissatisfied with the last scene (while acknowledging the strength of the performances involved), mainly because they don't like that the Dance seems to happen because of a misunderstanding. Ultimately, the question is with regard to the 'why' of the Dance. To be clear: all the people who are on Alicent's side (her father, for instance) would be pushing for Aegon regardless and lots of lords would not be happy with Rhaenyra as queen. Then there is also the issue of having Alicent's AND Rhaenyra's child be named Aegon simultaneously. To me,
Alicent hearing the prophecy
does not change the path the story at all or why these things are happening. What is going to happen was going to happen and one need look no farther than at all those different kids who have no real close attachments to each other and at Otto Hightower and his influence on his daughter over the years, the various resentments that Alicent built up and that one single evening of fleeting happiness cannot undo. The show tried to give us a picture of what an alternative outcome might have looked like, only to then remind us that these people are entrenched in their positions and often convinced of their own righteousness. I can say this because the moment Viserys left the room earlier, both coalitions were immediately at each other's throats again. In the book, there is no
misunderstanding or last meeting between Alicent and Viserys and the prophecy is also not an issue. In the end, on the show it was my impression that Alicent did not understand what he was saying or that it was a prophecy to begin with or that Viserys' words were not meant for her but for Rhaenyra.
I think there is more of an irony involved here that Viserys managed for a few minutes to get everyone to behave like an actual family...but only for a few minutes. His failures as king and his responsibility in terms of paving the way for the Dance of the Dragons can sadly not be ignored and the cruel joke is that he will never know. But we do because we have seen how these characters came to be who they are.

I'm gonna be honest, at this point, I wouldn't be shocked if some 7 years has passed at the beginning of the next episode and we realize that Viserys is still alive and Ser Criston still hasn't aged a day.

Kidding aside, pretty damn good episode. I have to ask though. Why couldn't Viserys fully retire and let Rhaenyra officially take the crown early, when the guy was that ill? Was that not a thing with Targaryans or what's the deal?

Master Virgo wrote:
October 10th, 2022, 3:12 pm
I'm gonna be honest, at this point, I wouldn't be shocked if some 7 years has passed at the beginning of the next episode and we realize that Viserys is still alive and Ser Criston still hasn't aged a day.

Kidding aside, pretty damn good episode. I have to ask though. Why couldn't Viserys fully retire and let Rhaenyra officially take the crown early, when the guy was that ill? Was that not a thing with Targaryans or what's the deal?
You're in luck, this was the last time jump for quite a while, maybe even the whole story of the Dance of the Dragons.

I mean, usually the king rules until his death but Robert Baratheon tells Eddard Stark at some point that he would have liked to abdicate his position. Tends to not happen a lot though because it usually leads to fights over the succession. Jeor Mormont abdicated his lordship to go to the Wall. Aemon Targaryen didn't even rule, he just refused to be the heir in the first place. People don't usually abdicate unless it's to join the Night's Watch, Maesters, Faith or the Kingsguard. There is no formal stepping down process.

Episode 8 is a 10/10. Incredible.
The casting of this show is incredibly well done. Every actor from every generation, even for the smaller parts like Aemma in the pilot, or Dyana the maid in this episode are very good. And then in the middle of all this, you get some of the best acting on TV, not just good acting, but acting that adds emotion, meaning, and purpose to the story. Not many actors can reach that, but Considine can reach this amazing level of acting. He showed us that he's one of the best. Hope he gets to get great parts in Hollywood now.

Seriously, Paddy Considine deserves an Emmy for his performance. A standout among an extraordinary cast. Honestly, I did not expect the TV show to be this good. The showrunners have really done a fantastic job in setting the stage through this season and now I am eagerly anticipating the relentless action we will be watching over the next two or three seasons!

The building tension and dread is just so well done on the show. You know you're watching the implosion of all of these people in slow motion but since the greens are the only characters we follow this week (apart from Rhaenys and
Ser Erryk
) it makes for a fascinating deep dive into their mindsets and it's a great showcase of how quickly a coup like this gets put into effect once the dam breaks (namely Viserys' death). Servants getting locked up, people being forced to swear loyalty to the new ruler (and people being executed on a whim -
rest in peace Lords Beesbury and Caswell
) while the identical kingsguard twins Ser Arryk and Ser Erryk are a perfect symbolic representation of what the Dance entails, namely people being put in situations where families are likely to be deeply divided over the succession rights of people who don't consider them to be people worth considering...it all fits together so well. We're also diving a level deeper by having people who are seemingly on the same side trying to outmanoeuver each other because of the subtle ways in which their ideas for what makes for a better future for themselves and for the realm differ.

This is Olivia Cooke's episode and I prefer the show version of Alicent to her book version by a mile. In the book she's just the textbook evil stepmother but the actress manages to make her so much more on the show. A very conflicted but also rigid and oppressed character who perpetuates sexist traditions and systems because of a misguided sense of self-righteousness, duty and piousness. It's also interesting that all the major male characters that surround Alicent all seem to have a weird fixation on her (her father remarks crepily how she looks like her mother, the less we say about Larys' fetishes the better, and Criston Cole seems to be devoted to her in a way that seems to go well beyond being a mere protector). Alicent was compared to Cersei in a lot of ways and in a way their struggles are the same, though Cersei never realises what Rhaenys spells out for Alicent in their big scene together: that Alicent is just serving men within a system dominated by men and that she ought to be mad at the system as it is set up, rather than at women like Rhaenyra who flaunt certain traditions.

Rhaenys also finally gets a lot more focus and I have my own ideas about her rationale at the end of the episode (
kinslaying is the biggest taboo ever, she has known a lot of the greens personally for a long time and she had initially just wanted to get her dragon to leave the city anyway
).

If you thought the story wanted you to root for any of these royals the last scene hopefully makes you realise how little even characters who are framed very sympathetically by the story think of the poor and the powerless. It's why Rhaenyra can say the smallfolk's wants are of no consequence, why Daemon can have Caraxes walk over a wounded soldier in episode 3 and not even notice and why Laenor, Rhaneyra and Daemon can just kill a random guard so that Daemon and Rhaenyra can get married and Laenor gets a 'happy ending'. Blacks vs greens...that's a useless question. Team smallfolk all the way, which is also how Mysaria seems to see it by the way.

Aegon is just such a pathetic loser but it was interesting to see him have an understanding of
how ill-suited he is for the role that is being assigned to him and it is only when he hears people cheer for him that his outlook changes
. Aemond is also getting a lot more nuance than in the source text (envious second sons...gotta watch out for them).

The soundtrack was especially powerful in this episode as well.

This show has gotten quite silly. Outside of casting some interesting looking faces like the young princes, the acting is bad and it’s too much music to make you think otherwise.

kamarozy wrote:
October 18th, 2022, 11:01 am
This show has gotten quite silly. Outside of casting some interesting looking faces like the young princes, the acting is bad and it’s too much music to make you think otherwise.
I can't take this kind of take seriously, sorry.

I just watched this up to Episode 9 in two days. Episode 8, within the context of this series, was 10/10 in my books. Absolutely heartbreaking and powerful, the scene in the throneroom is the one scene that elevated this TV show for me. Episode 9's ending was just a tiny bit let down - in my eyes - by the TV-standard CGI, but I guess that's just my problem. Episode 8 worked 100% without any use of outstanding visual effects, really, so it just felt a bit duller to see this otherwise dramatic turn of events in Episode 9 play out in front of a green screen. I hope Episode 10 will deliver on this wild setup - and I hope it, at least in a way, will bring some storylines to a close and not serve up a huge cliffhanger entirely. Looking forward to it!