House of the Dragon (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Batfan175 wrote:
October 5th, 2021, 12:57 pm
I am glad to be vindicated: without the financial and critical success of the original show they would not be spending money and time on dark fantasy shows like this. I know I am right on this because, aside from GOT, there has not been a mainstream medieval fantasy-story that also had aspirations to be part of what used to be called 'peak tv'. You get crime thrillers, sci-fi and horror show all the time but not this kind of stuff because it's much more of a gamble with mainstream audiences and the fact that it's happening at all shows that there now is an appetite for this...which might not have been a given if GOT had not demonstrated that people are invested in this world.

Also, it's nice to see that the aesthetic is the same as in the old show (banners, etc.) so I am looking forward to this despite my general disinterest in the Targaryens.
Of course HBO is making more shows considering how commercially successful GoT was. Everybody and their mother watched it but that doesn't mean people were satisfied by the end. Right now GoT is pretty much dead in pop culture. We will see whether people are still interested in that world when this releases.

Dobson wrote:
October 5th, 2021, 3:23 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
October 5th, 2021, 12:57 pm
I am glad to be vindicated: without the financial and critical success of the original show they would not be spending money and time on dark fantasy shows like this. I know I am right on this because, aside from GOT, there has not been a mainstream medieval fantasy-story that also had aspirations to be part of what used to be called 'peak tv'. You get crime thrillers, sci-fi and horror show all the time but not this kind of stuff because it's much more of a gamble with mainstream audiences and the fact that it's happening at all shows that there now is an appetite for this...which might not have been a given if GOT had not demonstrated that people are invested in this world.

Also, it's nice to see that the aesthetic is the same as in the old show (banners, etc.) so I am looking forward to this despite my general disinterest in the Targaryens.
Of course HBO is making more shows considering how commercially successful GoT was. Everybody and their mother watched it but that doesn't mean people were satisfied by the end. Right now GoT is pretty much dead in pop culture. We will see whether people are still interested in that world when this releases.
Dead shows don't get spinoffs. The show ended and I don't know that people would be talking about it much once it ended even if most people loved the ending. Noone talks about Breaking Bad anymore either. Plus, the haters can't stop talking about GOT whilst ironically claiming that noone talks about it anymore....thereby keeping it in the pop culture consciousness.

People like me who liked GOT (including the ending) only ever talk about it when there is an egregiously bad take on the show and I always felt the people who say vile stuff about the showrunners are terrible, not the guys who made a tv show. The reason I don't engage as much with the show anymore is because I don't want to interact with those kinds of people in online fandoms. Simple as that.

Seems like general audiences has been unhappy with every Star Wars movie since Empire, but plenty of people come back for the next one. Even with all the gripping after the end of the previous series, people will still watch this new series...

Dobson wrote:
October 5th, 2021, 6:46 am
good good

when tho

I was surprised by how I watched the trailer and felt nothing.

Numbers wrote:
October 8th, 2021, 3:20 pm
I was surprised by how I watched the trailer and felt nothing.
How Dany feels about Daario lol.

Ace

Official trailer:

This is all about women empowerment now.

blackColumn wrote:
May 6th, 2022, 5:58 am
This is all about women empowerment now.
a) that's not a bad thing.
b) it's one of the reasons the conflict starts in the story this is based on so deal with it. The blacks and the greens are two fractions that rally around two different women, Rhaenyra and Queen Alicent Hightower. Shows how ignorant you are of the material and of who the author is.
c) Game of Thrones was never on the side of the chauvinistic pigs that made the women, children and poor suffer in the original show. Don't know why you would think the show supports the misogyny being perpetrated by characters who live in a society that treats women like chattel and quite obviously and repeatedly shows that state of affairs to be a hideous and barbaric thing.