House of the Dragon (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Rhys Ifans, Sonoya Mizuno, Steve Toussaint and Eve Best join the cast.

Ifans will play Otto Hightower, Hand of the King to King Viserys Targaryen. Toussaint joins the series as Lord Corlys Velaryon, better known as The Sea Snake, "the most famed nautical adventurer in the history of Westeros." Best will portray his wife, Princess Rhaenys Velaryon, a dragonrider who was "passed over as heir to the throne at the Great Council because the realm favored her cousin, Viserys, simply for being male." Mizuno rounds out the cast as Mysaria, whose official character description is:

"Mysaria came to Westeros with nothing and has been sold more times than she can recall. She could have wilted… but instead she rose to become the most trusted — and most unlikely — ally of Prince Daemon Targaryen, the heir to the throne."

Looks great!

I have not read any of GRRM's supplementary material on the world of ASOIAF because it is so Targaryen-centric and that's off-putting to me, given that he could explore so many other more interesting aspects of his world, but I find those photos quite intriguing.

somethin tells me this will be a winner winner chicken dinner

I am glad to be vindicated: without the financial and critical success of the original show they would not be spending money and time on dark fantasy shows like this. I know I am right on this because, aside from GOT, there has not been a mainstream medieval fantasy-story that also had aspirations to be part of what used to be called 'peak tv'. You get crime thrillers, sci-fi and horror show all the time but not this kind of stuff because it's much more of a gamble with mainstream audiences and the fact that it's happening at all shows that there now is an appetite for this...which might not have been a given if GOT had not demonstrated that people are invested in this world.

Also, it's nice to see that the aesthetic is the same as in the old show (banners, etc.) so I am looking forward to this despite my general disinterest in the Targaryens.