The Northman (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This may not make profit at box office and for awards, you don't have to be a theatrical movie, as CODA has shown. So this director's next film might be a streaming film.

The preview trailers look great

88% rotten score. I had very high expectations for this.

It appears to be mostly getting between very good and excellent reviews so far. Not that different, at this point, from what his previous movies have gotten if you ask me. In any case, The Lighthouse (my favorite one although The Witch is also quality) is more than enough support for me to trust Eggers.

The Northman is by far Eggers' most straightforward and mainstream film. But I don't hear enough people talk about it, to a point where I don't see this making a profit on a $70M++ budget.

But it's really worth seeing in theaters imo.

very light spoilers below
Just saw it today, and i have to say im disappointed, maybe its my fault but after the witch and lighthouse i had sky high spectations, and i found myself entertained but largely unmoved by the film, it portrays Viking culture in a really intersting way, but the start of the movie feels really really rushed, i know the premise is known, its a revenge film so lets have our protagonists father killed so we can have a movie, but it felt odd and underwhelming, some of the performances felt wooden, i felt Anya was wasted, i dont know if it was the accent she used but her acting felt awkward to me, and so did Alex`s and it was compounded when they where together (Willem was my favourite of the bunch) the fight choreography also felt odd, Jarin did a great job on the cinematography but again, nothing got seared in my mind like his work on the lighthouse, the ending of the movie was reeaaally predictable, and i also felt the fantasy scenes clashed with the more grounded style of the rest of the movie, the "family tree" scenes felt specially cheesy, the violence felt gratuitous, and so did the sex scene, in fact the whole Anya Alex relationship felt forced AF, ive read that this movie is a very faithful representation of Norse mythology, and great, but it didnt make for a compelling movie for me sadly, i really wanted to like this one, i was ready for Robert to blow me away again, guess the absence of A24 and their allowance for creative freedom did make a big difference.

I liked The Northman the most out of the three Eggers movies and about as much as the new Batman. It's a very tried and true story that we've seen very numerous times before in such works as
Gangs of New York, The Lion King, and in Shakespeare
but Eggers brings his weird style to elevate the material with a Viking theme and the very good directing, acting, score. But it's not so weird and more mass market than his previous works so if what you like out of his movies are how baffling they are maybe those will be a bit disappointed. The movie is (literally) dark and violent but doesn't wallow in misery too much outside of what happens to the those outside of the main characters with the common folks bearing the brunt of this culture and the slaves that they take.

Rating: :thumbup: out of :thumbup: :thumbup:

Absolutely loved the shit out of this. Honestly my favorite from Eggers

Shit. This is some good fuckin shit

LOVE this movie.