Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 6:24 pm
this is completely lovely. found the formalism slightly stifling, but its visually amazing and daring and the final 5 minutes transmogrify the whole thing into the sublime. its an ode to love and the creative spirit and how those may be one and the same.

as far as formal "historical attitudes threatening the love of lesbians" dramas go, i liked this a lot more than Carol

and yes, "that scene" in the middle is transcendent

-Vader
I actually found the formalism appropriate because
the movie is like one of those neoclassical paintings in the movie, but in elongated cinematic form. And the amount of shots that are obviously recreating that style is just right, never too excessive.
I wonder what you mean by slightly stifling.

I found it stifling in its commitment to stillness and style to let the passions run subtle.

Only a bit, though. And yes about the visuals. The whole movie looks like painting. Called it Barry Lyndon for fervent lesbians.

-Vader

Saw this last night and I loved it. It's such a beautiful looking movie with really interesting and richly drawn characters.

And can we get some appreciation for Sophie please?

Yesterday I was just thinking about how much of a masterpiece this is again, and today it got pushed back by 2 months. Broke my heart.

I've been hyping this movie up to all my friends and then it turns out it's not coming to America until Febuary smh.

One specific thing element I admired about this movie
is how quiet it is. This movie doesn't really have a score. So when music is played, it's played during pivotal scenes of bonding, wanting, and at the end it powers a memory. I also love how Sciamma put so much life into the scenes thay you don't even notice a background score is missing. The last film I saw thay had no score was that Sleeping Beauty movie that starred Emily Browning and it was so boring. But here, the characters are so richly drawn, the scenery is so scrumptious, and every line of dialogue is so wonderfully written that you don't even take too much note of the lack of non-diagetic sounds.