Ms. Marvel (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Just thought I'll create threads for all three announced Marvel/Disney+ streaming shows.

In for the best of the Marvel girls! :clap:

Ok, as a person who's not well versed in Marvel comics (I used to only read SIlver Surfer and X-Men, and a bit of Spider-Man). Can you explain to me, IN DETAIL, how this works.

You can skip the things we definitely won't see in the show or movies, like the original Mar Vel or whatever, or the 5 different people who used to be the character. Just focus on what we've seen in the movies and how it connects to the comics.

Mainly I want you to explain to me this strange triangle of character: Who are Carol Danvers, Monica Rambeau and Kamala Khan and how do they connect? So I know that Carol used to be Ms Marvel and then it was retconned to be Captain Marvel in the comics? I thought that Monica Rambeau will be Ms Marvel then in the films. That would be fairly easy. But now we have this Kamala Khan. So how is she connected to Carol? Does she have the same powers? What does that mean for Monica? Will she be the next Ms Marvel after Kamala? Does she also have the same powers as Carol? and finally WTF? Please help.

Not that into Cap Marvel comic books, or lore, but the way I understand it, Captain Marvel is just an alias for a person who gets the mantle or better the title, a la Green Lantern.

Ms. Marvel I know well enough, she’s a muslim Pakistani teenager, total fanboy of Carol Denvers, who gets smoked by a so called terrigen mist, which is also connected to Inhumans. Said terrigen mist helps develop special abilities within humans who have the necessary gene (going all the way back to the inception of humankind and Kree DNK meddling, in order to create a perfect soldier race). She can stretch her body a la Mr.Fantastic aka Reed Richards from Fantastic Four, turn into a giantess if she likes, form mega punches etc.

Very very important character that was created by G.Willow Wilson during Marvel Comics initiative to diversify their comic book stand (along with Jane Foster Thor etc.). Feige yesterday confirmed she will also appear in future MCU movies so these D+ series are definitely in-canon and MCU based.

Thanks. So her powers are completely different from Captain Marvel's and the only connection they share is that Khamala is a fangirl of Carol. That's pretty cool on its own and might be a nice "what if a regular joe/jane living in this universe idolizing superheroes suddenly got superpowers" type of show.

Ok, now maybe someone can please explain the importance of Monica Rambeau and how she ties into into this whole "mess"?

Monica Rambeau was the second Captain Marvel (after Mar-Vell) and Avenger during the 80s. She no longer goes by Captain Marvel in the books. She's not connected to Carol as far as I know, but of course the MCU created a connection in the film.