Marriage Story (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Artemis wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 12:47 pm
That's not my narrative tho. That's the overall narrative the general public has with Netflix.

A24 manages to release good content all year long so it's not every distributor. And last Spring and Summer we got good movies before going into the fall movie season.
Well that narrative is wrong regardless. A24 is the exception, not the rule when it comes to their consistency.

If it's such a wrong narrative then shouldn't Netflix maybe make more of an effort to choose their content more wisely? Because at the moment a lot of their original films tends to be misses instead of hits. And we do know that they are capable of making good movies.

so you're expecting netflix to have almost unprecedented quality control?

-Vader

They could be more picky tbh. idk. Roma was great and they have some other neat series and films on their roster but then they give adam sandler a deal and it's like "netflix, bb, what are you doing?"

anyway, people only use the service to watch the office and friends anyways :P

I mean South Park literally had an entire episode about how they greenlight EVERYTHING :lol:

Anyway how much they paying y'all to defend them? I want in on that too :P

Netflix cranks out movies because people watch them. Adam Sandler movies are the most watched movies on their platform. They're trying to create movies for every type of audience member. They need to grow their subscriber base. They aren't going to do that with movies like Roma or Buster Scrugs or The Other Side of the Wind. The more subscribers they have, the more money they have for those other types of projects. This is their obvious business model.

Movies like 22 July, Outlaw King and Triple Frontier are from filmmakers who have made multiple acclaimed movies in a row. The reason they buy many of their projects is because they can get them below market price, so of course most of them won't be winners.

Crying into the void that Netflix sucks is just sorta baseless and incorrect.

-Vader

I would love it if they'd get more 4K/HDR content on there though

Vader182 wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 1:10 pm
Netflix cranks out movies because people watch them. Adam Sandler movies are the most watched movies on their platform. They're trying to create movies for every type of audience member. They need to grow their subscriber base. They aren't going to do that with movies like Roma or Buster Scrugs or The Other Side of the Wind. The more subscribers they have, the more money they have for those other types of projects. This is their obvious business model.

Movies like 22 July, Outlaw King and Triple Frontier are from filmmakers who have made multiple acclaimed movies in a row. The reason they buy many of their projects is because they can get them below market price, so of course most of them won't be winners.

-Vader
Thanks for not responding with a gif. But yeah you make a lot of good points for sure. Like I said in a previous post, Kieth did bring up some good points and questions about how Netflix arrives at that number and they don't have a third party check their math.

Like I said, they do have good films and they do have good content. Like when they try, it's hella good.

I'm not a n3tfl1xh8r4lyfe or anything btw. Maybe it's just me expecting too much lol. End of the day, quality over quantity maybe?

Vader182 wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 1:10 pm

-Vader
Thank you. See...we see to eye to eye! ;)

Artemis, I responded to you several times without a gif.