Obi-Wan Kenobi (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Stephen Daldry is Star Wars’ new hope.

The Oscar-nominated director behind Billy Elliot and The Hours is in early talks to direct a Star Wars standalone movie centering on Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Sources say talks are at the earliest of stages and that the project has no script. If a deal makes, Daldry would oversee the development and writing with Lucasfilm brass. It's not known at this stage if Ewan McGregor will reprise his role.

The Obi-Wan Kenobi standalone is one of several projects being developed by Lucasfilm and Disney that fall outside the trilogies telling the saga of the Skywalker family. A Han Solo movie is now in the final stages of shooting under new director Ron Howard and Lucasfilm is also looking at movies featuring Yoda and bounty hunter Bob Fett, among others.

In the original Star Wars trilogy, Kenobi was at first a desert-dwelling and war-weary hermit who later proved to be a wise and powerful warrior, brandishing a light saber. He was briefly a mentor to a young Luke before being cut down by Darth Vader, his former pupil. Alec Guinness played Kenobi, garnering him an Oscar nomination to boot.

The character got star treatment in the George Lucas-directed prequels which told the origin of Vader and his betrayal of Kenobi and the Jedis. McGregor has said he would be open to playing the character again. Sources stress, however, that since there is no script, no actor is attached.

Daldry hails from the theater world and made his feature debut with Billy Elliot, which netted him his first directing Oscar nomination. He followed that up with searing dramas The Hours and The Reader, which also netted him directing nominations.

He most recently directed episodes of Netflix’s period drama The Crown, which put him into play in this Emmy season.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ks-1030505
Last edited by nolannolanchrischris on October 22nd, 2020, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

£

Daldry though?

and Lucasfilm is also looking at movies featuring Yoda and bounty hunter Bob Fett, among others.

I'm a fan of Daldry.£

antovolk wrote:Daldry though?
I would have turned my nose up but then THE CROWN HAPPENED

Get Morgan to write it pls

ArmandFancypants wrote:
antovolk wrote:Daldry though?
I would have turned my nose up but then THE CROWN HAPPENED

Get Morgan to write it pls
Yeah the Crown did indeed happen but I would not have expected Daldry to do SW.

holy shit though Morgan PLLLEEEEEASEEEEE

Morrie's_Wig wrote:
and Lucasfilm is also looking at movies featuring Yoda and bounty hunter Bob Fett, among others.

Jesus the timing on this is perfect. :clap:

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
I'll still see the rest of sequel trilogy, but at a certain point I feel like I'm just gonna stop seeing Star Wars movies. I'm at the point where I no longer go to franchises out of obligation. Within a couple of years I could see Star Wars being no different than the likes of Fast And Furious and Transformers.

Also we don't need prequels to every single character or event that was in the original trilogy. I've never read any of the EU stuff, but from I've heard about it there's plenty of interesting material. Why not do that instead of the third prequel to the OG trilogy in less than 5 years.