Thor: Love & Thunder (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Artemis wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 7:24 pm
I don't think this is the thread to discuss the complexities of modern American policing but if you have questions about my own personal thoughts I'd rather people PM me (except for Geoffrey and Skyab tbh. Nothing personal I just don't want PM's from you guys).

As far as Portman's size. I've learned not to care because no matter what size a woman is, it feels like she'll always be critiqued and I'd rather we don't add to that.
If this isn't the thread to bring up the "complexities of modern American policing" then why did you mention it at all? His post had nothing to do with the police.

BrandX wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 7:46 pm
Artemis wrote:
I don't think this is the thread to discuss the complexities of modern American policing but if you have questions about my own personal thoughts I'd rather people PM me (except for Geoffrey and Skyab tbh. Nothing personal I just don't want PM's from you guys).

As far as Portman's size. I've learned not to care because no matter what size a woman is, it feels like she'll always be critiqued and I'd rather we don't add to that.
If this isn't the thread to bring up the "complexities of modern American policing" then why did you mention it at all? His post had nothing to do with the police.
It was a tongue in cheek response to Virgo's post. Also, maybe PM me next time buddy?

I agree with what you’re saying Artemis but sometimes physicality and size is important when discussing a character.

Also it is complex, which is why is ACAB as phrase is pretty dumb.

I know a lot of comic book women are really swole in the comics and it doesn't translate as well to screen like all the time but I do appreciate the work women like Larson, Gadot, Johansson, and others put in. Those workouts are tough.

At the same time though, if they put a body builder woman into the role, man you'd be seeing so much hate. "She's too manly" "wonder woman? More like wonder Man amirite?"

I just kind of hate now nerds praise these types of bodies in the comics but then when presented with this image in real life they just meme the woman.

I'm probably not making much sense here since it's a stream or conscience I'm typing up.

I do understand the double standard of having men being super jacked while the women aren't as jacked though. It is unfair to the men and it has been documented to cause body image issues in dudes in real life.

I was honestly thinking last night how Gwendoline Christie would be a dope Thor lol.

Forum Pro
Law
Artemis wrote:
I don't think this is the thread to discuss the complexities of modern American policing but if you have questions about my own personal thoughts
You brought it up so I wanted to know what it meant.. that'll be all

m4st4 wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 4:31 pm
What’s wrong with Jane in Thor exactly? The entirety of Thor 2 sucks, except for those Loki-Thor moments.

@jasonaaron: Consider me thunderously excited. The Jane Foster Thor storyline I did with @rdauterman, (Eisner winner!) @COLORnMATT & so many more talented artists is one of my proudest moments in comics. I can't wait to see @TaikaWaititi & Natalie Portman bring the Goddess of Thunder to life.
Natalie Portman is ok in these movies, I'd be happy to see her as Thor. Some people might just be salty because she publicly criticised Marvel a couple of years ago when Patty Jenkins was replaced with Alan Taylor and she refused to come back for reshoots for Thor: The Dark World. But a woman as Goddess of Thunder sounds awesome.
Artemis wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 8:01 pm
I know a lot of comic book women are really swole in the comics and it doesn't translate as well to screen like all the time but I do appreciate the work women like Larson, Gadot, Johansson, and others put in. Those workouts are tough.

At the same time though, if they put a body builder woman into the role, man you'd be seeing so much hate. "She's too manly" "wonder woman? More like wonder Man amirite?"

I just kind of hate now nerds praise these types of bodies in the comics but then when presented with this image in real life they just meme the woman.

I'm probably not making much sense here since it's a stream or conscience I'm typing up.

I do understand the double standard of having men being super jacked while the women aren't as jacked though. It is unfair to the men and it has been documented to cause body image issues in dudes in real life.
Yeah that sucks and it's probably a big reason why Marvel has not done anything with She-Hulk so far. There are all kinds of body types out there and while people talk about representing all kinds of people in films, it is very difficult to find films with very muscular women in the lead roles, while I can name a bunch of action films starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone.

But then again, it might also be because Marvel seem to have completely abandoned exploring anything related to the Hulk's cast of characters just in general, despite laying the groundwork for both Doc Samson and the Leader. They kept General Ross around but haven't had him interact with Banner at least once. A She-Hulk movie might actually require they hire a woman of the build you talk about and it should not be a problem.
Last edited by Batfan175 on July 21st, 2019, 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nevertheless they are replacing a 35 years old male with a 38 years old female in an action role. That's just completely insane by Hollywood's massively sexist standards.

Allstar wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 6:34 pm
While I agree you don’t need the physical stature because of superpowers, isn’t there a reason Hemsworth gets jacked every time to play Thor? Also Portman on Instagram said she’s going to “get jacked” lol.

Anyway, I’ve just never been a big fan of Portman so this is nothing new for me. Please don’t associate me with a deplorable like Skyab.
Hemsworth doesn't have to be jacked to be powerful which EndGame proved. He's just jacked because of the way characters look in comics and they try to emulate it in film. But his power doesn't come from muscles.

Characters like Batman, Captain America, Shang-Chi, Black Widow should look buff because they rely on human strength. But Superman or Thor are like this simply because of the comic aesthetic.

LelekPL wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Hemsworth doesn't have to be jacked to be powerful which EndGame proved. He's just jacked because of the way characters look in comics and they try to emulate it in film. But his power doesn't come from muscles.
This. The notion that she needs to be 'jacked' to be convincing is ridiculous because Thor, the character, does things only gods can do. Can we accept it only if the body has come muscles on it, how much he/she bench presses? That's a ridiculous notion.

But you can still be damn sure she's going to have to train for the role to look fit and tight for that shiny armor they're getting her.

Going by the internet comments, it's the usual hate towards women in powerful leading roles that prevails, unfortunately. Like we, men, are suddenly going to lose hundreds of years of dominance.

And, again, I'd like to point towards things that matter here - Jason Aaron's Thor saga, specifically Mighty Thor. Read that and become transfixed by the power of imagination. In comic books, just like in the movies, anything is possible.