Thor: Love & Thunder (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
A Borges man wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 4:35 pm
Panapaok wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 9:38 pm
The funny thing about Gorr is that his comic arc involves three different Thors from three different timelines, and is sad, dark, and truly cosmically epic...sort of like a Nolan flick.

But this movie is gonna be wall to wall jokes, and is essentially Avengers 5...so I shouldn't hold out hope that this is gonna relate to the comics in any way.
Taika can do emotional content quite well. Case in point Hunt for the Wilderpeople and Jojo Rabbit.

LelekPL wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 8:58 pm
A Borges man wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 4:35 pm
Panapaok wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 9:38 pm
The funny thing about Gorr is that his comic arc involves three different Thors from three different timelines, and is sad, dark, and truly cosmically epic...sort of like a Nolan flick.

But this movie is gonna be wall to wall jokes, and is essentially Avengers 5...so I shouldn't hold out hope that this is gonna relate to the comics in any way.
Taika can do emotional content quite well. Case in point Hunt for the Wilderpeople and Jojo Rabbit.
My comment is not really about emotional content...If you've read Aaron and Ribic's run on Thor, you'll know what I'm talking about. This character and this particular comic arc are the opposite tonally and content-wise from anything I've seen from "Taika". Considering that the Guardians of the Galaxy are going to be in this movie and bunch of other silly shit...this is not going to bare any resemblance to the comic-books. Which is usually the case, and I'll live with it...felt it was worth mentioning. Or not.

Also... I wouldn't point to JoJo Rabbit as an example of anything being done well.

LelekPL wrote:
*Looks at Thor: Ragnarok*

Do you mean emotional content that doesn't stick because the scene ends up in a joke? Destruction of Asgard, perhaps the biggest moment in Thor's and all the Asgardian's lives ends up as a joke, by none other than a character voiced by Taika himself.

And what happens to Thor doesn't matter because the very next movie undoes all the changes. Kills most of the Asgardians on the ship after they escaped Ragnarok, gives Thor an eye and a weapon. And few seconds to grieve.

Pratham wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 3:36 am
LelekPL wrote:

Do you mean emotional content that doesn't stick because the scene ends up in a joke? Destruction of Asgard, perhaps the biggest moment in Thor's and all the Asgardian's lives ends up as a joke, by none other than a character voiced by Taika himself.

And what happens to Thor doesn't matter because the very next movie undoes all the changes. Kills most of the Asgardians on the ship after they escaped Ragnarok, gives Thor an eye and a weapon. And few seconds to grieve.
a) begining of Ragnarok sets the expectations for the rest
b) movie that comes after is fault of a movie that set the stage differently? Poor TLJ, then.
c) I agree with you, though, Ragnarok wasn't always a graceful dance between action, drama and comedy.

m4st4 wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 4:16 am
Pratham wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 3:36 am
LelekPL wrote:

a) begining of Ragnarok sets the expectations for the rest
b) movie that comes after is fault of a movie that set the stage differently? Poor TLJ, then.
c) I agree with you, though, Ragnarok wasn't always a graceful dance between action, drama and comedy.
A) TBF I rolled my eyes at the beginning. But I expected humbling of Thor after arrival of Hela. Which never came. He's snarky throughout the movie just like other MCU protagonists. Why do that when you have character of Loki right next to it?

B) I don't know anything about Star Wars. But when a movie is sold as a part of much larger universe, I expect there to be some communication between the talents working on those movies. I imagine if you're doing MCU rewatch those few serious moments lose their impact entirely. Plus, forget about next movie. It doesn't do much with characters established in earlier movies like Odin or Heimdall. And Thor's friends don't even exist I guess?

C) Yeah. Why even choose the Ragnarok storyline if you wanted to do something lighthearted? Thor is not even there at the Asgard for most of the movie. We're with him at Goldblum planet and are only occasionally reminded that Hela is wrecking apart Asgard.

Sorry for the rant. Thor: Ragnarok makes me angry whenever I think about it.

fwiw; I thought Hunt for the Wilderpeople was quite endearing, if a bit too long. The more I think about Jojo Rabbit the more it establishes itself as a long SNL sketch, I just don't know how else to describe it

Agree with Pratham tho

But I must say that Bale being in this excites me, hell I might even check this out

The entire MCU is one whole emotional anticlimax. When I look back at something like The Incredible Hulk at the very least that thing feels like it has actual stakes within the movie as well as a decent fight at the end and it seems to understand the premise of the central character by playing the emotions absolutely straight: you get why Banner and Betty Ross are stressed out and you also get what the antagonist wants in that film, whereas every film thereafter felt the need to undercut serious emotional beats with jokes or self-referential BS. Also doesn't hurt that they got Craig Armstrong to work on the soundtrack for that one.
Most of the Marvel stuff is meant to get you to feel excited for a couple of days and when you look back at years later it it's just mostly generic stuff that doesn't dare take a leap in terms of putting some serious time into crafting a genuine emotional moment. I remember a bunch of scenes from the Raimi Spider-Man movies for instance that stuck with me (Uncle Ben's death, Peter deciding to give up being Spider-Man, etc.) and that actually got me emotionally invested, whereas the giant franchise aspect of the MCU always keeps me at arm's length because you know they'll always just make more of these event films (and often they just destroy seemingly meaningful developments from previous films as if it meant nothing so, yeah, not great).
Yeah you can say it's one single vision but when that vision belongs to a company instead of a director it all feels kinda soulless and empty after a while.

Batfan175 wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 8:18 am
The entire MCU is one whole emotional anticlimax. When I look back at something like The Incredible Hulk at the very least that thing feels like it has actual stakes within the movie as well as a decent fight at the end and it seems to understand the premise of the central character by playing the emotions absolutely straight: you get why Banner and Betty Ross are stressed out and you also get what the antagonist wants in that film, whereas every film thereafter felt the need to undercut serious emotional beats with jokes or self-referential BS. Also doesn't hurt that they got Craig Armstrong to work on the soundtrack for that one.
Most of the Marvel stuff is meant to get you to feel excited for a couple of days and when you look back at years later it it's just mostly generic stuff that doesn't dare take a leap in terms of putting some serious time into crafting a genuine emotional moment. I remember a bunch of scenes from the Raimi Spider-Man movies for instance that stuck with me (Uncle Ben's death, Peter deciding to give up being Spider-Man, etc.) and that actually got me emotionally invested, whereas the giant franchise aspect of the MCU always keeps me at arm's length because you know they'll always just make more of these event films (and often they just destroy seemingly meaningful developments from previous films as if it meant nothing so, yeah, not great).
Yeah you can say it's one single vision but when that vision belongs to a company instead of a director it all feels kinda soulless and empty after a while.
BREAKING NEWS: MCU movies are the cinematic equivalent to fast food. More at noon.

Nistopher Colon wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 8:36 am
Batfan175 wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 8:18 am
BREAKING NEWS: MCU movies are the cinematic equivalent to fast food. More at noon.
Yeah, that's not a problem in and of itself tbh. It is much rarer to see someone threaten other people online for daring to critcise the quality of McDonald's food though. It's more the defensiveness of people online that's an issue when people point out the above-mentioned obvious fact that's the cause for a lot of grief imo. I mean, you can ask Scorsese or Coppola or any number of people who, in the grand scheme of things, only expressed their opinions on this thing and look at what the reaction was. A lot of people got to be the target of the Two Minutes Hate and it was disgusting and pathetic.
The immediate impulse to rush to defend the Marvel/Disney company (and to do so in a way that is aggressive and insulting to people who actually made great films) from even the slightest criticisms is the problem because certain people dared not like a bunch of films. Give me a break. Just accept these films for what they are and that there are a bunch of people who can see them for what they are.

When people don't throw a hissy fit every time someone questions the quality of these MCU blockbusters, then we can talk about them being the cinematic equivalent of fast food because everyone knows fast food is bad for you and of questionable quality, whereas I'm not sure that's the case with regard to these films.

I finally got around to watching Ragnarok.

Holy crap that movie is pointless.

What is the theme of the movie? It wasn’t particularly funny. It literally felt like a waste of time.

Unfortunately it was also a big hit with the critics (Lord knows why) and they will probably be doubling down on this. It’s sad because Thor is my favorite character. I enjoyed the first two Thor films. I don’t know why the second gets so much shit. At least it felt like it had weight.