Babylon (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
User of Interest wrote:
June 25th, 2021, 7:19 am
Spike Jonze?! I want a new film from him, not him starring in one lol! :lol:

Ruth wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 5:46 pm
i hope chazelle makes and releases this soon enough for me to watch it before dying from the apocalypse
This comment aged like milk but i still hope it's true

Most people will watch it in 2023; it will have a small release in December to qualify for the awards, but the big release could be weeks later in order to avoid confrontation with Avatar 2, that one movie that people will say has made a disappointing B-O performance if it only gets 1.2 billion.
So I don't know if this is my most anticipated of 2022 or of 2023.

https://twitter.com/ViewerAnon/status/1 ... 4008330240
https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2022/3 ... debauchery
Damien Chazellle’s new movie stunned L.A. moviegoers last night. I’m hearing the word “masterpiece” being uttered a few times this morning.

Judging by some of the reactions gathered from last night’s screening of Chazelle’s “Babylon,” this is going to be the writer-director’s go-for-broke epic. Scorsese’s “The Wolf of Wall Street” was mentioned more than a few times, ditto Fellini’s “Satyricon.”

The film, which clocks in at 185 minutes, is said to take place between 1925 and 1952, tackling Hollywood’s wobbly transition from the silent era to sound. Margot Robbie’s performance as Clara Bow is said to be the big takeaway & a likely Best Actress contender. Jean Smart also registered major points as a showbiz journalist who helps Bow learn to act with spoken words.

I won’t say more about the film, but that it does pull off the kind of surprising opening credits that would make Hamaguchi blush, not to mention its shades of “Eyes Wide Shut” orgy debauchery. I’m telling you, this is Chazelle swinging for the fences and trying to rile up the dead horse that is American cinema’s current state.
This is going to be amazing! I completely trust Chazelle to bring some insanity and boldness here. And let's hope he will have and keep this three hours final cut.

185 minutes? They better not cut anything, cause I'm gonna watch it again and again and again.
I have a very hard time with the idea that some scenes from First Man were cut (the house on fire for example) since the final version has absolute perfect pacing. My understanding is that Chazelle already cut his script to not have too big a budget.
I'm glad the reactions are good because then the studio may let Chazelle keep his three hour cut. That's the only reason why I care about the reaction. Even if people don't like the film, I'm very hopeful I'll love it. First Man got mixed reception (compared with expectations) and I think it's Chazelle's best yet, and one of the best of the last decade.

Why do I have to wait until next January to watch this :cry: :cry: :cry:

I feel I'm gonna love this movie

Forum Pro
Maguire is playing Chaplin, super excited for this

Ace

Ace wrote:
September 7th, 2022, 9:06 am

YESSS!!! Finally, the wait is clearly here, Damien Chazelle will definitely embark us into something truly unique and special, so glad we have him!! Can't wait!!