Mank (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Is this really the all-timer Robbie Collin was talking about?

Seems to be getting a pretty "It's good... but" response.

Ignatiy Vishnevetsky's (big Fincher fan) A.V. Club review is even pretty negative:

https://film.avclub.com/throwback-quirk ... 1845583348
But while Mank succeeds on certain personal terms, it fails by largely conventional means. There are parts that bear an uncanny resemblance to the kind of awards-bait middlebrow drama usually essayed by BBC-trained hacks. In its worst stretches, it is repetitive, muddled, and even dull.
Kind of worrying.

Insomniac wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 7:34 am
Is this really the all-timer Robbie Collin was talking about?

Seems to be getting a pretty "It's good... but" response.

Ignatiy Vishnevetsky's (big Fincher fan) A.V. Club review is even pretty negative:

https://film.avclub.com/throwback-quirk ... 1845583348
But while Mank succeeds on certain personal terms, it fails by largely conventional means. There are parts that bear an uncanny resemblance to the kind of awards-bait middlebrow drama usually essayed by BBC-trained hacks. In its worst stretches, it is repetitive, muddled, and even dull.
Kind of worrying.
I agree a little bit with that quote. Mank is beautifully filming, but the characters (and big part of the plot) doesn't speak to me. Can't connect with none of them.

Yeah based on the early tweets it seemed like “omg masterpiece” but right now it’s 89% with 8.0 avg. rating and that typically goes down as more reviews come in. This is very good reviews but certainly not the masterpiece level reviews I was expecting after the tweets. Also 79 on metacritic which again is very good but not the 90 I was expecting.

Mank bad

fincher should have made mindhunter season 3 instead

just fincher doing his thing!

sounds about right lol

So do I watch Citizen Kane first or Mank? Want to do a double whammy however.