Mank (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 10:16 pm
After sitting on it more, this is at the bottom of Fincher’s filmography. This is not a huge knock but like Solo this just did not completely click with me.
I feel like this is the 'next Zodiac' from him in terms of craft, but I can totally see why someone would have a mild reaction to it, it's so specific thematically and definitely not everybody's cup of tea. I'll have to do more research before my second watch just to get some of the movie background/political references in several scenes (or better: call Armand), and yet it was also the warmest and most heartfelt from Fincher since... hell if I remember, it's 2020?

In short, it's a clear five star entry for me and yet I can look at someone's three and say sure, that also makes sense.

Armand loved this btw. This is a very weird, disorienting and difficult movie and I fault nobody for not digging it. Maybe revisiting it sometime will have it click.

-Vader

Mmm... I see that many are calling this an unexpected and difficult film, but I don't know; it felt quite "traditional" and straight-forward to me, in a good way, of course. After seeing the trailers, I was afraid this whole "old movie" look will turn out to be a gimmick, but it completely absorbed me, and I couldn't imagine this story told in a "conventional" way.

And I'm sure others have already pointed it out, but the film just feels so timely. Some dialogues are maybe even a bit too much on the nose, but I wouldn't know if it was intentional or not. But this whole movie is about things we all know, things we all experience, it's about universal truths and how we all keep forgetting about these universal truths.

The film itself, how it's written and structured is trying to convey that same message, I think. It's an anti-blockbuster, and I think it wants to show that off. I think there are moments when it gives the middle finger to the modern blockbuster industry. Which is expected in a way of Fincher, I think, but it also tries to make its audience re-discover some of the forgotten, basic values of an ideal reality where liars and lies are called out, and grand manipulators are called out. I mean, there are several moments where you cannot help but think of contemporary politics and issues, but the film is not trying to be a metaphor for modern days, but rather it tries to prove how modern issues are not modern at all. They are centuries old, or maybe: these are universal, historic issues people always had to face and deal with.

And it's surprising that this sort of exploration of the deepest human struggles emerges from a biography about a Hollywood screenwriter. I was surprised, at least. And I watched this film without watching Citizen Kane beforehand, and don't worry, I think it still works. (I've seen Kane a long, long time ago)

I don't think this film is that difficult to grasp, or that "weird" or unconventional - it's simply a good film with great scenes, sharp dialogue (sharper than those of Chicago 7, maybe?) and masterful direction - the latter shows itself how economic the whole movie feels. It's on point, it's straight down to business, there's nothing standing out, it knows what it wants to achieve. Maybe the only scene that was a bit too much for me was the walk in the zoo (with its animal puns), but now that I think of it, it could be thought of as a simple, comedic detour.

All in all, I liked it, and more importantly, it made me think of soooo many things in my own life as someone struggling with creative aspiration and energies, and of things we are seeing and experiencing in our present day reality. Great ride. And I love Oldman (but, as expected, everyone was top-notch).

LelekPL wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 5:41 am
Allstar wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 10:16 pm
After sitting on it more, this is at the bottom of Fincher’s filmography. This is not a huge knock but like Solo this just did not completely click with me.
Yeah. I guess the story didn't click with me, either. I actually had the opposite reaction to Vader where I was intrigued at the beginning due to the visuals and techniques used but after a while I just got disinterested in the stakes and story as well as the humor hasn't clicked with me at all. At the end I just didn't care about the people on screen. It's still a solid movie, looks great and the music is really good but not something I'll see myself coming back to.

In terms of his filmography, I'd also rank it near his bottom:
1.Se7en ★★★★★
2.Fight Club ★★★★★
3.Zodiac ★★★★½
4.The Social Network ★★★★½
5.Gone Girl ★★★★½
6.The Game ★★★★
7.The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ★★★½
8.Panic Room ★★★½
9.The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo ★★★
10.Mank ★★★
11.Alien³ ★★★
1.Zodiac ★★★★★
2.Se7en ★★★★★
3.Fight Club ★★★★½
4.The Social Network ★★★★½
5.Mank ★★★½
6.Gone Girl ★★★½
7.The Game ★★★
8.The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ★★★
9.Panic Room ★★★
10.The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo ★★★
11.Alien³ ★★

:)

Vader182 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 7:20 am
Armand loved this btw. This is a very weird, disorienting and difficult movie and I fault nobody for not digging it. Maybe revisiting it sometime will have it click.

-Vader
like tenet? ;)

I have almost watched this like five times. I will make the leap tonight I think. Just want to be in the right mood. Always been a fairly big Fincher fan so excited to see what he brings with this.

Durden wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 2:45 pm
I have almost watched this like five times. I will make the leap tonight I think. Just want to be in the right mood. Always been a fairly big Fincher fan so excited to see what he brings with this.
I may have made the mistake of watching this in the wrong mood. I watched it shortly after being hyped up watching the latest Mando ep. Will have to give it a second viewing.

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 2:19 pm
Vader182 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 7:20 am

-Vader
like tenet? ;)

inb4 'but tenet was meant for the general audience, mank is not!' :lol:

People love The Game?

Bacon wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 8:08 pm
People love The Game?
its fun but def lower tier Fincher for me.