Mank (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 4:04 pm
everybody who likes mank is my friend and everybody who doesn’t like mank is not my friend

but you can redeem yourself if you think zodiac is fincher’s best
:(

natalie wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 5:29 pm
Ruth wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 4:04 pm
everybody who likes mank is my friend and everybody who doesn’t like mank is not my friend

but you can redeem yourself if you think zodiac is fincher’s best
:(
i’ll make an exception for you🥺

Not really Mank related but Fincher directed a new commercial in collaboration with Atticus Ross. Interesting mix of aspect ratios and color/black&white.

This movie is only a few months old and it’s already not aging well.

Allstar wrote:
March 18th, 2021, 9:14 pm
How do you mean?

Numbers wrote:
March 18th, 2021, 9:39 pm
Allstar wrote:
How do you mean?
Literally no one but the Oscars is talking about it, so there's that

Bacon wrote:
March 19th, 2021, 6:50 pm
Numbers wrote:
March 18th, 2021, 9:39 pm
Allstar wrote:
How do you mean?
Literally no one but the Oscars is talking about it, so there's that
Everyone on film Twitter bitched about the nominations and the audience scores are quite low. And yeah, there’s no passion for this.

I'm not surprised by either side. It's ironically a very weak script for the general audience to care while it's also about the industry so I knew the Academy would eat it up. I was honestly shocked Malcolm & Marie hasn't gotten anything considering how much they love movies about themselves (and because to my surprise I actually liked the latter more)

I found Mank to be a hugely compelling film, in the tradition of Fincher's best works that slowly build detail and depth that only hits you well into the film's running time or possibly some time after it's over.

There are multiple layers to Mank, but to me, the most interesting one is how it suggests that to tell a story is to present a lens on truth... and how it shows that there's an art to getting to the truth of people, without locking or owning the keys to that truth.

I wrote a piece that discusses Mank from that perspective. It's focused on the specifics of Mank but also uses them to illustrate the broader themes and concerns within David Fincher’s work.

‘Mank’ & David Fincher's films: From the Quest for Truth to a Deeper Humanity

There’s little doubt that David Fincher and many of the characters he’s interested in — detectives, investigative journalists, screenwriters — are concerned with the search for truth. A point repeatedly raised is how attainable truth really is. What if, asks Zodiac (2007), at the end of years of research, the truth remains, and will always remain, out of reach? What if, in The Social Network (2010), we approach the truth of the main character’s motivations by way of a variety of angles, depositions, and second-hand accounts, but leave significant gaps in that truth that linger beyond the final frame? What would be the effect on audiences? The concern with truth and with the lack of it runs through so much of the director’s work...

Here is the link to the feature.

(In case you have an interest, giving me feedback in the comments, liking or following are all greatly appreciated).