Mank (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The screenplay was so dense, and unlike anything Fincher has handled before including TSN. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Of course the craft at hand is phenomenal, even the performances. But the writing left me wanting more. It did feel like a history lesson quite a few times. Will try to watch it again this week. And Reznor and Ross, oh my God.

didn't click for me

Revisited Kane yesterday. Forgot how much ai loved it.

Onto Mank today, finally! 🤩

Incredible. Teared up after the end because it gave me that feeling like I just watched and enjoyed a new movie and everything was back to normal outside. Gripped me from start and never let go, unexpectedly funny too.

I’m a little too busy with the unimportant shit in life, therefore haven’t yet had the chance of watching this. :cry: Hopefully tomorrow.

m4st4 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 2:23 pm
Incredible. Teared up after the end because it gave me that feeling like I just watched and enjoyed a new movie and everything was back to normal outside. Gripped me from start and never let go, unexpectedly funny too.
ikr? I had such a warm fuzzy feeling at the end.

After sitting on it more, this is at the bottom of Fincher’s filmography. This is not a huge knock but like Solo this just did not completely click with me.

finch sinks

Sky007 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 11:03 pm
finch sinks
No.

Allstar wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 10:16 pm
After sitting on it more, this is at the bottom of Fincher’s filmography. This is not a huge knock but like Solo this just did not completely click with me.
Yeah. I guess the story didn't click with me, either. I actually had the opposite reaction to Vader where I was intrigued at the beginning due to the visuals and techniques used but after a while I just got disinterested in the stakes and story as well as the humor hasn't clicked with me at all. At the end I just didn't care about the people on screen. It's still a solid movie, looks great and the music is really good but not something I'll see myself coming back to.

In terms of his filmography, I'd also rank it near his bottom:
1.Se7en ★★★★★
2.Fight Club ★★★★★
3.Zodiac ★★★★½
4.The Social Network ★★★★½
5.Gone Girl ★★★★½
6.The Game ★★★★
7.The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ★★★½
8.Panic Room ★★★½
9.The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo ★★★
10.Mank ★★★
11.Alien³ ★★★