Mank (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I don't know if I can make a list of five films let alone ten that have really stuck with me this year. Minari and Nomadland are my two most anticipated for sure. Will be checking out Mank very soon.

Forum Pro
Law
I quite enjoyed this but I agree with Allstar in the level of admiration I have for it. Fincher nailed the aspect of taking you back in time. I just wish I was able to see it in theaters because the sound design is what really drew me in. After bingeing The Crown it was nice to see some familiar faces. Specifically Charles Dance, and of course Tom Burke. I like how they made Orsen Wells kind of a jaws type character, even when he wasn’t on screen you felt his presence. Oh and I dug the score. Very 30s but Trent and Atticus Ross had their signature sound included. Anyway yeah 8/10 would watch again.

Ugh...really didn't like this and this was by far my most anticipated of the year.

And I don't see going anywhere near the Oscar except technical categories (for wins at least)

:thumbdown:

Allstar wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 5:49 pm
Vader182 wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 5:47 pm
I won't be able to see Nomadland and Minari until after I publish my top 10 list online, which I'm very bummed about. Ah well.

-Vader
When are you getting to see them? In theaters?

I will be seeing Minari soon with a “virtual screening”. I missed out on Nomadland as the time I realized they were sold out. Hoping Promising Young Woman offers a virtual screening along with Nomadland again.
I'll be seeing Promising Young Woman in theatres next week.

this takes a while to get going, and it’s a very weird movie, but it’s edge of your seat drama by the end

the fake film effects, cigarette burns, etc. were distractingly shitty

mhynson27 wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 9:42 pm
Jealous. Please report back your thoughts.

My mini-review thread for the curious. It's in the B+ / A- range for me. Excited to revisit.

-Vader

I just saw the 1999 trailer for HBO's RKO 281 and I'm told it's likely a better version of the story of the making of Citizen Kane than Mank.

Batfan175 wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 6:41 pm
I just saw the 1999 trailer for HBO's RKO 281 and I'm told it's likely a better version of the story of the making of Citizen Kane than Mank.
Well, Mank isn't really "about" the making of Citizen Kane, for a start.

-Vader

Allstar wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 12:53 am
mhynson27 wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 9:42 pm
Jealous. Please report back your thoughts.
Will do.