Mank (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 5:04 pm
So do I watch Citizen Kane first or Mank? Want to do a double whammy however.
Kane first I’d say. Plan on doing the same. :twothumbsup:

Allstar wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 10:41 pm
m4st4 wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 5:04 pm
So do I watch Citizen Kane first or Mank? Want to do a double whammy however.
Kane first I’d say. Plan on doing the same. :twothumbsup:
Honestly can't wait. First and last time was in high school!

like the cool kid that i am, i already watched kane last night

want this kino in me already

I want to mank this kino.

On a scale of Mank to Dank, how do y’all think Mank will rank?

Saw this yesterday at a smaller theater and really enjoyed it. Oldman is terrific, the cast as a whole is fantastic and the cinematography, direction and score are great. I watched Kane the night before and I recommend that to others.

Mark Kermode: 'It's fine but it's no more than fine'.

Lol to me that means it's time to skip this. I thought David Fincher was always merely trying to be great without often actually being great. He most of the time makes nice-looking pulp and that's fine, ain't particularly insightful cinema, nor does it get me deeply emotionally invested most of the time, though.
Zodiac is arguably his best film because you actually get a sense of the time, space and people the film depicts and people talk like actual human beings, like actual adults, and the procedural and period detail (though altered to fit a cinematic narrative) is always there to give it a sense of realism.

Sadly, that film came out 13 years ago and since then he's not made a single film that I felt absolutely compelled to rewatch even just once. I've rewatched Se7en and Zodiac just yesterday and he seems much more at ease when he's doing the crime thriller stuff. That's when he's at his best (though not always) and maybe he should stick to what he knows because there are imo a bunch of overrated entries in his filmography like the unnecessary remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (it has no reason to exist other than the fact that certain people don't like subtitles), Gone Girl (the artificiality and ridiculousness of the story by the end just made me laugh at the film, which is not a good sign) and the Social Network (barely remember this one) and it feels like Fincher just gets by whenever he presents audiences with some pretty images to look at and not much else because he's David Fincher. It seems that he doesn't manage to make great cinema when he's not in his comfort zone, which is to say depressing crime thrillers.

Vaccines are at 90% efficiency only because Batfan survived the initial tests.

i didn't go see the first fincher movie in 6 years in a theater what is going on

m4st4 wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 1:51 pm
Vaccines are at 90% efficiency only because Batfan survived the initial tests.
And Mank sank because it stank'.