The Matrix: Resurrections (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
It's only a matter of time. First six months are rip for this industry.

ikr

at least Dune is in the can...

Pushed back all the way to April 1, 2022!

UGH! But justified. They haven’t finished filming and it’s better to take all the time they could get for post.

Ace

The source isn't verified on Twitter so the likelihood of this title being true is low. Change the title to Matrix 4 (2021). For a moment I thought it was postponed.

The last couple of days I watched the trilogy again after 10 years or so. The first one is nearly perfection. The second one has some horrible CGI moments (when Neo is fighting the smith clones for the first time. It looks like a ps2 game :lol:), Neo is too overpowered and suddenly it feels like a superhero movie with all these flying Dragonball Z shit. But still enjoyable somehow. Especially with the plot twist (and I thought Snowpiercer did it first). But after the plottwist the Matrix itself felt like no longer of importance. Maybe 2 movies would have been enough.

So I'm not quite sure to feel about a fourth movie. But I hope it will be financial success, so the Wachowski Sisters can fund their next original movie. Despite their flaws in storytelling, I like most of their ideas. And btw Bound is one of the best directorial debuts I've ever seen.

I think they really tried making Neo's powers irrelevant and creating some tension in the sequels by putting him in the train station where his powers did not work, by making Smith his equal in Revolutions and by giving him more action in the real world.

The issues I have is when he's fighting the new agents or Merovingian's men... it's lacking any suspense and it should have been cut to a second. I kept thinking why is he even entertaining the idea of fighting them, he should have just blown them up with his mind or something. It shouldn't have even been a fight or a struggle considering his powers.

The Merovingian's men werewolf/vampire status could have been played up and explained better to make them a challenge but with how they were portrayed in the film they never felt like a threat and the supposedly upgraded agents didn't feel different enough than in the last film... actually they felt like less of a threat and more like an afterthought in the sequels, even for characters that are not Neo.

Also, Smith's growing powers and role should have been better explained in Reloaded to make him feel more like a threat and less like a goofy group of regularly powered Smiths before he suddenly has all the powers of Neo in Revolutions for no apparent reason.

Come to think of it, wasn't one of Nolan's 'complaints' with the first film (or the sequels idk) that it was never really clear what Neo could and more specifically couldn't do? I mean, I think that's why Nolan was so bound on making the rules of the dream heists clear in Inception. I mean even with The Matrix, just so that people won't go 'oh but he's all powerful so why won't he blow them up or something'. Besides, didn't Reloaded also show that Neo was indeed, not invincible??
he bled in that mansion of the Merovingian.
Anyway, I like this title. I really can't wait to see what Lana came up with. I'm glad they got to shoot quite a bit (no idea how much of the film it'll be tho lol) in San Francisco before shit hit the fan.

Also, those 4K remasters of the trilogy seem to be fucking ace. I wonder what Lana's modern depiction of the Matrix is, also on a pure visual level. Read they shot with up to 8K digital camera's this time around.