Soul (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This film definitely has its problems (the main one being it is obviously a sequel-but-not-sequel to Inside Out and Pixar really needs to think up some new shit) but it ended on a very high note. 2nd half of the film is vastly superior to the 1st half.

Lots of people have said it but I feel like Inside Out, Coco, and Soul make a pretty good thematic trilogy. Each asks different questions, but each have a similar concept

This movie has basically the same topic as American Beauty (Sam Mendes, 1999). Just less intellectual, less social criticism, more family friendly and predictable. Pixar movies feel so mediocre since Ratatouille.

X-MementoMori-X wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 5:18 pm
This movie has basically the same topic as American Beauty (Sam Mendes, 1999). Just less intellectual, less social criticism, more family friendly and predictable. Pixar movies feel so mediocre since Ratatouille.
didn't realize American Beauty (of all things) has a monopoly on ennui

-Vader

X-MementoMori-X wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 5:18 pm

So should I finally watch this?

Haven't seen Onward and Cars 3 yet, really liked Inside Out and heavily disliked Coco. My experience with Pixar is thin for the past couple of years it seems.

Sure, why not?

I was personally torn on whether I should wait for a theatrical release or not (theaters here are closed and idk when they’ll reopen since our situation is beyond fucked), but I caved in and saw it just before New Year’s Eve. My honest reaction is that ofc I cried, but I’m also easy to please when it comes to Pixar. But I felt like Soul gave me what I desperately needed, and I can imagine, especially in 2020, I wouldn’t be alone in relating to what it’s got to say. I found it to be an incredibly validating experience. It’s pretty bare looking though.

I loved Inside Out and I LOVED Coco, so I’m curious what could possibly lead one to “heavily dislike” it. I felt it gave an incredibly beautiful look at Mexican culture/folklore under a very respectful and humanising lens. Sure it’s kinda corny when you think about it but personally I found it to be part of the charm. I was so under its spell when I first saw it in theaters.

Thanks, I will watch it then as soon as I get to it before the second semester and job starts anew.

I thought Coco was truly beautiful visually, in general I really love the whole day of the dead aesthetic. Something about the whole narrative just didn't sit right with me. It was, in essence, a soap opera and I guess that just wasn't for me after that one viewing. Perhaps a revisit once would give me something more out of it idk.

Damn, I just realized... Pixar also made Toy Story 4.

So...I like really really dig this but:
Why does Joe not give 22 her Earth pass once she got one and then just immediately go to hippie druggie guy and just jump into his "dead" body via the ground portal and reunite with it?