For All Mankind (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Forum Pro
Law
Master Virgo wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 3:42 pm
Like I mean, imagine if it was the norm to call a group of black and white people as white folks. No one should have been outraged by the continuous usage of such a term? Just leave them be, they'll fix it in time? Come on.

I'm not calling anyone who has ever used the word, sexist. I'm saying it's a mistake made at the time of severe sexism and should be avoided, because it very clearly implies the superiority of one gender to the other.

@Law I don't know why that is relevant to what I'm saying. There have been gender norms throughout the history and nowadays people are able to break free of such norms if they choose to in free societies.

Women polishing their nails if they like to is not disrespectful towards anyone, but you calling your daughter and son as boys, is insulting to your daughter.
Fair enough

I'm disappointed you weren't joking Virgo.

someone giving apples out to everyone seems like a delightful premise

Nomis wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 6:42 pm
I'm disappointed you weren't joking Virgo.
I would also say I'm dissapointed in return that people in this forum have nothing in response except snarky comments and one sentence non-arguments, but that's so very fucking typical of this forum. I'm not dissappointed at all. I fully expected that to happen.

Man and mankind

Traditionally, we use man to refer to all human beings, male and female, usually in contrast with other animals. However, many people consider this to be sexist, so it is better to use a different expression, such as human beings:

Human beings first emerged in Africa, some two million years ago. (preferred to Man first emerged …)

Mankind can also refer to all human beings, male and female, usually in the sense of social or conscious beings. Although people generally consider it less sexist than man, it is usually better to use a different expression, such as human beings (with a plural verb) or humankind (with a singular verb):

Human beings have always dreamt of happiness and of a perfect world. or Humankind has always dreamt of happiness … (preferred to Mankind has always dreamt …)

See also:

Sexist language

- Cambridge Dictionary

It's not my native language so I really don't care but it's just funny to see someone get carried away over this.

Vader182 wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 3:24 pm
there's a pretty big difference between extreme examples and using words 99% of english speakers have been programmed to use since birth then penalizing every use of those words and as well as the speaker who spoke them.

it's societal and systemic and flagging each and every use as ""sexist"" isn't constructive, it's disproportionate language and not overly constructive

-Vader
Exactly this. You can stay in your bubble if you want to Virgo but it's getting very tiresome. Stop it or I have to stop it for you.

Can we actually talk about the show which looks great? Christ.

LelekPL wrote:
September 28th, 2019, 2:48 am
It's not my native language so I really don't care but it's just funny to see someone get carried away over this.
what he said.

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 8:16 pm
someone giving apples out to everyone seems like a delightful premise
not delightful to doctors tho

is it seriously wrong of me, a woman (who actually deals first hand with some of the sexistic/patriarchal shit in her everyday life), to say that while i get the overall shittiness of these words and their origins...

it’s really not the hill i’d choose to die on? imo

Not at all.

And humankind is a mouthful tbh, unlike mankind which smoothly rolls off the tongue (imo).