For All Mankind (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Forum Pro
Law
Master Virgo wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 10:22 am
That sexist title tho
Last I checked Mankind stood for all humans, the human race. It's okay to leave your bubble once in a while.

nah dude this movie's clearly about mick foley duhhhh

im pretty sure virgo is taking the piss here guys

he understands the linguistics of how male nouns are grammatically used to summarize groups

-Vader

Forum Pro
Law
Vader182 wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 1:59 pm

he understands the linguistics of how male nouns are grammatically used to summarize groups

-Vader
Ahhhh.. then I take back my bubble remark

Vader182 wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 1:59 pm

-Vader
Oh I understand that. But have you ever stopped to think why that is the case? Could it be because men were in charge of creating the language in the first place? Because the word man is a gendered term. You never refer to a female person as a man. But when you have a group of of males and female, then they are men, never women. How interesting. Could it be that these men did this randomly with no bias at all. Kind of doubt it.

EU as well as many universities around the world have moved on the remove words like "Mankind" and "Manpower" from their language. Prime Minister of Canada has even addressed this last year. I do live in a bubble, but guess what? The bubble is growing.

yes i am well versed in the hegemony of linguistics thank you, but its pretty disingenuous to act like every use of those normative words is straight up sexism.

they are limiting, and they probably should be amended at some point or another, but you're going way too far here

-Vader

Tredeau also didn't know wearing blackface is racist. Viggo didn't know using the N word with no ill intention is still racist. Grean Book creators didn't know they were employing historically racist tropes in their work.

That makes those actions ignorantly racist as opposed to viciously, and forgivable, if they realise later and apologise. But it's racist nontheless and should be pointed out for objection.
Last edited by Master Virgo on September 27th, 2019, 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

there's a pretty big difference between extreme examples and using words 99% of english speakers have been programmed to use since birth then penalizing every use of those words and as well as the speaker who spoke them.

it's societal and systemic and flagging each and every use as ""sexist"" isn't constructive, it's disproportionate language and not overly constructive

-Vader

Forum Pro
Law
99% of women get manicures .. is that sexist?

Like I mean, imagine if it was the norm to call a group of black and white people as white folks. No one should have been outraged by the continuous usage of such a term? Just leave them be, they'll fix it in time? Come on.

I'm not calling anyone who has ever used the word, sexist. I'm saying it's a mistake made at the time of severe sexism and should be avoided, because it very clearly implies the superiority of one gender to the other.

@Law I don't know why that is relevant to what I'm saying. There have been gender norms throughout the history and nowadays people are able to break free of such norms if they choose to in free societies.

Women polishing their nails if they like to is not disrespectful towards anyone, but you calling your daughter and son as boys, is insulting to your daughter.