The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Episode 5 was surprisingly really good. I wish the quality of writing was consistently at this level throughout the show

It kind of functions as Episode 8 of WandaVision.

Now I'm glad I didn't quit early. They might make something out of this series just yet.

The stuff with Sam was again very good. If anything, this show made him a very compelling character. He went from being one of the most boring Avengers to one of the most interesting.
I still like most of what they do with Walker, but
the scene with JLD... I love JLD, Seinfeld all the way! but I cringed at her scene. I hope it's to introduce a Season 2 and that the finale episode will focus on Karli as a villain.
Hope we get more Zemo soon in the MCU. Btw, he escaped only to be captured in his next scene peacefully? I like the ambition of the writers, but there are moments, I think they should just hava break, and drink a glass of cold water.
So we have JLD, Hahn, Wiig as villains in Superhero movies... Good time to be a comedy actress.

By far the biggest con of this show is that
I still don’t have a fucking clue what the actual goal of the Flag Smashers is. Like, what are they trying to preach ??

World was better during the blip when billions were gone, well, those billions are back again, we don’t want them, but we also fight for ~the people~? what in
This probably should have been a movie.

I think the idea is that
the western governments promised opportunities to refugees in order to attract them to their countries as human resources that they desperately needed at the time. But now that their own people are back, these refugees are being treated as a liability that needs to be getting rid off.

I don't think the Flag Smashers want the other half to die again. At least initially that has not been the goal. They want equal opportunities as they've been promised, and if there is an unfortunate situation due to the return of the dusted, it should be shared between everybody, not just forced on the outsiders who have left their past lives for a better one only to be given nothing. They now have neither a way back nor one forward.

They are after globalisation that the world was moving towards during the blip years and is now no longer even considered.

Master Virgo wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 5:29 am
I think the idea is that
the western governments promised opportunities to refugees in order to attract them to their countries as human resources that they desperately needed at the time. But now that their own people are back, these refugees are being treated as a liability that needs to be getting rid off.

I don't think the Flag Smashers want the other half to die again. At least initially that has not been the goal. They want equal opportunities as they've been promised, and if there is an unfortunate situation due to the return of the dusted, it should be shared between everybody, not just forced on the outsiders who have left their past lives for a better one only to be given nothing. They now have neither a way back nor one forward.

They are after globalisation that the world was moving towards during the blip years and is now no longer even considered.
Yeah, I agree, that's well explained, much better than in the show anyway.
Another very confusing thing is Sharon Carter's part.
It is voluntarily obscured by the screenwiters, but they do it in a way that doesn't make you want to guess, it just confuses the audience.

I have rarely seen a work of popular narrative art so well intentioned in tackling vital and important themes yet so ill-equipped to actually deal with them

-Vader

Master Virgo wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 5:29 am
I think the idea is that

See, I think that’s really a problem, because none of what you said is communicated well enough for us to understand that maybe that’s the point. It’s not that it isn’t explicitly said, it’s barely even alluded to, and even then in really fumbled, or like vader said, ill-equipped ways. They come across as borderline self parodies with no real purpose beyond repeating (at this point) meaningless talking points of wanting to “remove the regime”. And we’re on episode 5. I think the creators really dropped the ball with Karli and the flag smashers. I don’t demand muh capeshit to be deeper or more thought provoking than it really needs to be, but a unified vision of the overall direction that they want their characters to go in would be nice. Less cringe would be nice?
They really scratch some interesting ideas (but don’t really go beneath the surface) and it is pretty bold. But half the time I’m not sure if they even knew what they were doing with this.

I agree with all of that and I also believe that Erin Kellyman's performance is kinda off. And I really liked her in Les Miserables, she was a highlight there.

Master Virgo wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 2:31 pm
I agree with all of that and I also believe that Erin Kellyman's performance is kinda off. And I really liked her in Les Miserables, she was a highlight there.
She's miscast here, looks like a child playing a general. The role needed someone older with a dominating personality. Maybe not as old as Viola Davis but someone with a similar demeanor.

And again, the cut vaccine storyline gives the whole group no favors and no agency.

I mean she has a lot of personality for a young person. I could actually believe her as Solo: A Star Wars Story Spoilers
Enfys Nest
and she was even younger there with barely much screen time.

But here I feel like
she's making bad choices. When she has these determined looks with a touch of sadness in her eyes, it works and is in line with what the character seems to be about, but then she does this mischievous smirk here and there, and it doesn't feel genuine. It's sort of an edge that this character didn't need.