WandaVision (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Demoph wrote:
February 21st, 2021, 6:22 am
I have issues with the pacing of this show in the last three episodes. They are using the fact that they have around 4 hour and a half (which is not that much for a TV show) to tell the story in order to have more events and more storylines but in the end, but not to give more time and weight to each sequence (except in the first episodes).
Monica is not really more developped than any sidekick in the MCU: she's given an introduction, yes, but except her first 10 minutes, her arc has not been more interesting than Black Widow in Iron Man 2, Falcon in Winter Soldier, etc...
The villain(s), as of now are not interesting (and there's only two episodes left).
The great thing about TV show, normally is that you can have 4-5 minutes conversations, but here, the meaningful conversations don't last longer than in any action film.
I still really liked the arc of Vision in the last two episodes and I think they can find a beautiful way to end Wanda's arc. I just wished, since it's a TV show, that they could make me care for more than two characters.
As of now, it's a 7/10 for me, but of course the best is most likely yet to come.
While I loved episodes 1-6 (and yes, stand by my statement that the earlier episodes are fairly called Lynchian... it’s a pantomime of suburban paradise and domestic bliss, where every character only half-inhabits what seems like a fractured, fake, plastic reality. Thinking especially of moments Debra Jo Rupp insisting “stop it") I strongly agree episode 7 is weak and I think it's hurting Monica the most. I don't care about her.

That said, I'm mostly fine with only a few truly "developed" characters over the course of a show, and it's built into the premise it'll be that way.

For me, it's one of the best, and most "authored" entries into the MCU and suggests great things for Phase 4. It's one of the weirder blockbuster-budget tv show or movies to come out in recent memory.

-Vader

This show is just okay for me. It’s a little something different and it’s moderately enjoyable to watch week to week. I wouldn’t go any further than that.

Thanks to its use of sitcom tropes, a great bit of nostalgia, great performances by the two leads and a solid mystery keeping you guessing, I'd say it is an above average experience for me but it doesn't floor me as some other shows have. It's still far behind of what best of TV has to offer but for a first time show for the studio it is strong and shows a lot of promise. In terms of superhero shows, I think only The Boys and Watchmen have been better. I'd also consider it the best original show Disney+ has to offer but that's not saying much with The Mandalorian and the new High Shool Musical being the only other options.

With this episode not even they somehow managed to make the show a level or two better, but they actually improved the MCU as a whole, the same way Russos used to do it.

This franchise has almost never reached this level of emotional depth.

One of the most emotional entries in the MCU, with some of the greatest performances as well.

Overall, I found it a bit disappointing as the series went on, but I still had a good time and would prefer this over half the MCU any day.

It's baffling that for years, Marvel has been (justly) accused of basically making prolonged trailers for their team-up movies, with the standalone films not focusing enough on the individual journey of the main characters.

But now people have issues with this series not spending too much time setting up for the future installments and instead being about what it really should, which is Wanda as a character and her relationship with Vision.

It made me wonder during the first couple of episodes and it made me feel something in the final one so I can give it that. Nothing world shocking though

Master Virgo wrote:
March 7th, 2021, 5:50 am
It's baffling that for years, Marvel has been (justly) accused of basically making prolonged trailers for their team-up movies, with the standalone films not focusing enough on the individual journey of the main characters.

But now people have issues with this series not spending too much time setting up for the future installments and instead being about what it really should, which is Wanda as a character and her relationship with Vision.
Totally agree. The centralized nature of the story and focus on character between the two leads was really refreshing.

I'd just have enjoyed it more without
the bait-and-switch QS reveal, the "BAD" Scarlet Witch, and the "BAD" Vision stuff. Also everything happening with SWORD was bland and, at points, laughable.