Parasite (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 11:33 am
Okay so I said I’d wait until the end of November to see if there were any news of a limited release/special screenings or anything that would give me the opportunity to watch this in theaters before the end of the year. And it’s now December and nada.

It IS coming out here in...spring 2020. But I’m really pissed still. A local festival purchased distribution rights back in Cannes and pretty much withheld anyone else from possibly buying this and giving it a regular theatrical release, which *could’ve* theoretically happened with the film’s rising popularity and likely awards recognition. This will be released in Blu long before there are any screenings. Ugh.
Training to become a jedi keeps getting harder.

Ruth wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 2:24 pm
Nomis wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 2:19 pm
That's so stupid. I have the same sort of situation with The Lighthouse. I could torrent it like at the end of this month at the earliest. And it comes out in the third week of February over here. But I just really want my first viewing of that film to be in a (preferably packed) theater.
wot it’s already available?? i was told the lighthouse WILL have a theatrical release at the beginning of the year, so while not perfect, that’s tolerable, so I’ll wait. Parasite, however, like I’m seriously so angry

i just want to watch the goddamned film :(
The Lighthouse not yet though, I mean I could watch it at home but I want that life audience with me lol

Demoph wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 2:35 pm
Ruth wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 11:33 am
Okay so I said I’d wait until the end of November to see if there were any news of a limited release/special screenings or anything that would give me the opportunity to watch this in theaters before the end of the year. And it’s now December and nada.

It IS coming out here in...spring 2020. But I’m really pissed still. A local festival purchased distribution rights back in Cannes and pretty much withheld anyone else from possibly buying this and giving it a regular theatrical release, which *could’ve* theoretically happened with the film’s rising popularity and likely awards recognition. This will be released in Blu long before there are any screenings. Ugh.
Training to become a jedi keeps getting harder.
never has the pull to the dark side been stronger on me.

God I can't wait to see McDiarmid rip up the screen as Palpatine again, he was such a pure delight in Revenge of the Sith.

Nomis wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 2:19 pm
That's so stupid. I have the same sort of situation with The Lighthouse. I could torrent it like at the end of this month at the earliest. And it comes out in the third week of February over here. But I just really want my first viewing of that film to be in a (preferably packed) theater.
I saw it with like 3 other people in the theater. Same for my first showing of Parasite.

Incredibly minor spoilers for Parasite (kind of? not really? better safe than sorry)
My second showing of Parasite, however, the theater was packed. The problem: everyone laughed too much. The first half of the film is absolutely hilarious that when things that started happening that weren't funny, people would hoot and holler anyway. My friends weren't bothered and still loved it, but I would have been angry if that was my first experience. Packed theaters have their downfall. I could see them hooting at The Lighthouse for the wrong reasons.
Last edited by Bacon on December 11th, 2019, 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

y’all i can’t take the temptation anymore lmao

Bacon wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 5:18 pm

I saw it with like 3 other people in the theater. Same for my first showing of Parasite.

My second showing of Parasite, however, the theater was packed. The problem: everyone laughed too much.
The first half of the film is absolutely hilarious that when things that started happening that weren't funny, people would hoot and holler anyway. My friends weren't bothered and still loved it, but I would have been angry if that was my first experience. Packed theaters have their downfall. I could see them hooting at The Lighthouse for the wrong reasons.
You should not give away that kind of information.
Last edited by Master Virgo on December 11th, 2019, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Okay, well fix the quote. I tagged it. I really don't think it's spoiler-ific at all considering the film's categorization in awards season, but I'll be safe rather than sorry.
I don't think the fact that this film isn't a pure comedy is a spoiler.

Bacon wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 9:35 pm
Okay, well fix the quote. I tagged it. I really don't think it's spoiler-ific at all considering the film's categorization in awards season, but I'll be safe rather than sorry.
I don't think the fact that this film isn't a pure comedy is a spoiler.
The change of tone is one of the effectively shocking elements of the film, although not really spoilery, but I think many might prefer not knowing that it is going to happen and where to expect it beforehand

I agree with this. Going into Parasite knowing as little as possible is the best way to enjoy the movie. Might not be a spoiler per se, but I'm definitely glad I didn't know about that before seeing it.