2019-2020 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 1:13 am
is there anything more antiquated than a foreign language film category?

you're welcome

Joker was a decent film but not deserving of this many nominations.

from reddit lol

also @Solo: ikr

Not enough has been said about how overlooked Booksmart has been throughout this awards season. Script nod should have been a lock to say the least.

From Stephen King on Twitter-
As a writer, I am allowed to nominate in just 3 categories: Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Original Screenplay. For me, the diversity issue--as it applies to individual actors and directors, anyway--did not come up. That said... ...I would never consider diversity in matters of art. Only quality. It seems to me that to do otherwise would be wrong.

The most important thing we can do as artists and creative people is make sure everyone has the same fair shot, regardless of sex, color, or orientation. Right now such people are badly under-represented, and not only in the arts. You can't win awards if you're shut out of the game.
He’s been getting eviscerated for this. Thoughts?

Allstar wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 3:24 am
From Stephen King on Twitter-
As a writer, I am allowed to nominate in just 3 categories: Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Original Screenplay. For me, the diversity issue--as it applies to individual actors and directors, anyway--did not come up. That said... ...I would never consider diversity in matters of art. Only quality. It seems to me that to do otherwise would be wrong.

The most important thing we can do as artists and creative people is make sure everyone has the same fair shot, regardless of sex, color, or orientation. Right now such people are badly under-represented, and not only in the arts. You can't win awards if you're shut out of the game.
He’s been getting eviscerated for this. Thoughts?
It sounds like he’s against ‘affirmative action’ or something like that. Like, if two filmmakers were on equal footing, and one was a man and one was a woman, the woman wouldn’t automatically win for being a woman.

I’m a minority, but I’m also white. I’ve been on both sides of the equation (winning and losing because of ‘identity’), and it feels icky and gross either way. I want people who make the best art to win the most awards. This has not happened in the Academy since the first Oscars. Miraculously we’re all here and good movies still get made.

People like him shouldn’t speak in the abstract like this. It’s pointless. He’s been in the industry a long time. What does he know? If he’s witnessed injustice, he should speak out about it. I don’t think he ever has.

Not sure why he would say all that or what provoked it tbh. Most people mad about the lack of diversity in the noms that I've seen are mad at the inclusion of people that they feel shouldn't be there.

I can see the point behind this:
I would never consider diversity in matters of art. Only quality.
But he literally contradicts it by saying this valid point:
You can't win awards if you're shut out of the game.
Gerwig not being nominated and Phillips taking her spot, I'm almost certain is not based off perception of quality. I might be too biased, but I think there's a clear and unacceptable reason why Gerwig was side-lined for Best Director.

by shut out of the game he doesn't mean awards contention he means women having opportunities at all

and those statements don't contradict, he's saying voters shouldn't be seen as the problem since all they can do is reflect a systemic issue

I get what he's saying, but if voters don't recognize women doing exceptional and unique work because they're more inclined to recognize men paying homage to other successful male filmmakers, how will progress happen?

The reason people are angry right now at voters and the Academy is not exactly because of the lack of fantastic films led creatively by women. It's that these projects existed this year, many of which were critically lauded, but the women responsible are not being recognized.