2019-2020 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
DHOPW42 wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 9:17 am
DHOPW42 wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 7:50 am
I'm really happy for Parasite, but can someone explain to me how it could be nominated in both Best Picture and Best Foreign Language Feature film categories? How does this work?
Anyone has an answer to this?
It is kinda dumb, but how else would they fix it? A win for best international is still better than 'just' a nomination for best picture, so you can't prevent a film from being nominated for international film if it also gets nominated for BP. What if it doesn't win BP?

What is so difficult to understand? Roma was nominated last year as well. Best Picture is for all full feature movies. It can be animated, documentary or international, it doesn't matter. The three subcategories (animated, doc, international) are actually just a consolation prize to less popular types of films. I kind of get the Documentary feature being seperate because it is such a different process and film but the other two just seem like an attaboy to films the Academy doesn't normally care for or take seriously. Then again if we didn't have them less films would get exposure so there's a positive spin on it as well.

DHOPW42 wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 9:17 am
DHOPW42 wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 7:50 am
I'm really happy for Parasite, but can someone explain to me how it could be nominated in both Best Picture and Best Foreign Language Feature film categories? How does this work?
Anyone has an answer to this?
You can have the best poodle at a dog show that is also the best dog in general.

That one time that a white director won, should have also been given to a Korean instead. Lol

Ozymandias wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 9:14 pm
Lowest rated Oscars telecast of all time. 43% fewer viewers watched the Oscars than a decade ago. These award shows are becoming less and less relevant and it is obvious why.
I think it was because of last years idiotic Best Picture win lol and the steady decline in people tuning in in general

I wouldn't be surprised if next years' Oscars will have more viewers than this year given Parasite's big win.

edit: Oscars’ Corporate ‘Feminism’ Isn’t Empowering — It’s Condescending (Column)

Good thread

Agree to disagree on Natalie Portman and her showcase of feminism, but the overall treatment of women at the ceremony this year really left a weird taste in my mouth and it’s lingering the more I think about it. Couldn’t agree more with the article Nomis linked

The conductor situation was probably the absurd highlight of the night. They just couldn’t stop making it known to everyone that YES INDEED IT’S A WOMAN CONDUCTOR OY MY GOD *claps*

Someone else said it, but it felt like watching the special olympics. It didn’t feel “equal” or empowering, it felt like getting a piece of leftover candy or a “special” sticker for trying. Felt like being that one kid in a school play where the teachers would feel sorry for you and let you go on stage for a few minutes and have everyone patronizingly cheer for you, then hurry you off the stage and let the rest perform. I don’t know what woman would want to be recognized in that sort of way.

Not only is that thread spot on and those who have been going after her should feel embarrassed for themselves and know better, the burden for totally perfect work histories doesn't fall on any single person.

An actor or actress (loudly) advocating for women filmmakers without working with many women is clearly way better than doing neither thing, which is what approximately 95% of what Hollywood does regardless of their gender.

This stinks of people skewering Kennedy for "merely" creating 3 or 4 of the most diverse blockbusters of all time and hiring many diverse voices on both sides of the camera on all levels of Lucasfilm just because she (at the time) hadn't hired any women filmmakers.

This embodies a major problem with "the left" right now. We crucify those trying to make a difference, for publicity or not, if they aren't perfect. What we should be doing is holding the dozens (hundreds?) of other people accountable who haven't done a thing and in many cases did damage to these causes.

-Vader

Ruth wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 3:27 pm
Agree to disagree on Natalie Portman and her showcase of feminism, but the overall treatment of women at the ceremony this year really left a weird taste in my mouth and it’s lingering the more I think about it. Couldn’t agree more with the article Nomis linked

The conductor situation was probably the absurd highlight of the night. They just couldn’t stop making it known to everyone that YES INDEED IT’S A WOMAN CONDUCTOR OY MY GOD *claps*

Someone else said it, but it felt like watching the special olympics. It didn’t feel “equal” or empowering, it felt like getting a piece of leftover candy or a “special” sticker for trying. Felt like being that one kid in a school play where the teachers would feel sorry for you and let you go on stage for a few minutes and have everyone patronizingly cheer for you, then hurry you off the stage and let the rest perform. I don’t know what woman would want to be recognized in that sort of way.
I agree with everything you said.

It is problematic, because even though people want change, they just can't stand it if the people who also want change aren't saints and well surprise surprise, basically no one is a saint. And I also think it's disrespectful to write Portman off on the basis of her 'not doing enough', because like Vader said she's at least doing something.

But yeah, I wholeheartedly agree with the article I posted. It's a truly condescending and in a way even patronizing (matronizing? lol) way of presenting equality. And the biggest crux of it all is that the people who so vocally advocate for it (like many people during the award show(s)) don't even realize what they're doing is in fact condescending. It just doesn't get through to them.