2019-2020 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 2:22 pm
Allstar wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 1:37 pm
How does one judge that if you don’t even realize what’s stunt work and what’s not. Genuine question. I’m all for it otherwise.
The "branch" determines the nominees. They would know what are stunts and what aren't.

It's ludicrous that it's not a category and bloody Best Original Song is - a by-product of what was considered important in the early years of the Academy Awards and doubly silly when you consider that stunts have been in movies longer than Sound, Score, and Songs.
That’s true. I was more talking about picking the winner. Regardless it should be a category, I agree.

Ozymandias wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 9:14 pm
Lowest rated Oscars telecast of all time. 43% fewer viewers watched the Oscars than a decade ago. These award shows are becoming less and less relevant and it is obvious why.
I use to not take articles like this too seriously because ratings for everything is down, but that's pretty significant. I'd think it really help the Oscars if there wasn't so many other awards shows before hand like Golden Globes, BAFTA, SAG, etc.

By the time, the Oscars finally come around, people are kinda sick of the whole award show process, and it takes the suspense away seeing the same actors win all the time.

Also, find a way to shortening the show, less musical numbers would be a good start.

It’s ironic Portman wore that outfit with women’s directors name on it since...
Since V for Vendetta NP has been in 27 movies. 26 of them have been directed by men. Nice job working with women, Natalie!
Don't forget that her own production company has only ever worked with one female director. Herself
Yeah, she should put her money where her mouth is since she clearly has the clout to help them get projects made. I’m not even shaming her for almost exclusively working with male directors (she should do better, sometimes easier said then done), she just comes off like a giant hypocrite yet people foolishly lap it up “Yasss Queen” etc.

Yeah it's an empty gesture and performative feminism at it's finest. She should give female directors and writers more chances at her production company. Like look at what Margot Robbie is doing at her company.

Have any of you heard the story of Jane Got a Gun? All this is rumor but I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.

So Jane Got a Gun was Portman's passion project. She's super pumped to be producing it. She got Lynne Ramsay to direct. So Ramsay comes to set on the first day and the set is a mess. Apparently Portman is not good at producing at all and nothing was organized. So Ramsay quit. Rumor has it Portman blacklisted Ramsay for years.

Once again this is all rumor so take it with a grain of salt.

Two of my favorite actresses have been excellent supporting female directors and putting their money where their mouth is. Margot as you mentioned and Mulligan (4/5 last projects were female helmed). Glad the people I support are not hypocrites about it like Portman.

Artemis wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 9:31 pm
Please read the entire thread next time and consider context when responding to someone.
Sure.

7 of the last 8 best director winners were not white. That’s remarkable.

Allstar wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 4:07 am
7 of the last 8 best director winners were not white. That’s remarkable.
Are we really counting Cuaron and Del Toro as not white?

You’re right I should have said 3 Mexican directors, South Korean and Taiwanese make up 7 of the last 8. I still say that’s remarkable.

DHOPW42 wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 7:50 am
I'm really happy for Parasite, but can someone explain to me how it could be nominated in both Best Picture and Best Foreign Language Feature film categories? How does this work?
Anyone has an answer to this?