2019-2020 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Like with The shape of water or Moonlight, 1917 isn't my favorite film of the year, but I can't blame the Academy if it wins best picture. It's a damn good film.

I really liked 1917, and the only reason why I wouldn’t want it winning Best Picture is because like with mostBP winners, the counter jerk will be too strong and it will become hated, especially if the win was deemed unworthy by some. In a few years you likely won’t be able to say you liked it without some smug asshole giving you at least 50 reasons why your taste sucks. But that holds true for the majority of the nomines and all of the films I liked lol. Based on merit, I honestly don’t *seriously* care who wins, because out of 7 nominated films I’ve yet seen (sadly missed Jojo, and Little Women starts next week), 6 are really good to great lol. So many people really deserve that recognition. At this point, it’s the fans who escalate the majority of the competition and drama, because to most of those people, awards are just parties you can hang out with your fellow friends and get drunk while wearing nice designer clothing. I’m really rooting for Tarantino getting Best Director though.

Ignoring everything I just said tho, if 1917 wins, I’m totally on board just to see people lose their shit online lmao

Why would people lose their shit if 1917 wins? I haven't seen any hate for it so far, or am I missing something?

Not my issue with the movie, but you see a lot of tweets complaining about it being another movie being championed by old, white guys. This especially being an issue for people coming off Green Book's win last year.

radewart wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 2:21 pm
Not my issue with the movie, but you see a lot of tweets complaining about it being another movie being championed by old, white guys. This especially being an issue for people coming off Green Book's win last year.
I just don't believe Twitter or any social media website is a good indicator of the general public.

Ozymandias wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 3:12 pm
radewart wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 2:21 pm
I just don't believe Twitter or any social media website is a good indicator of the general public.
Twitter is bad.

Parasite just won best ensemble at SAG awards. The acting branch is the largest voting block of the Academy, so with this win, Parasite would likely be considered the front runner for Best Picture at the Oscars.

I am elated right now. Truly amazing.

Phoenix gave a terrific speech, too. They all did mostly.

-Vader

Ozymandias wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 11:17 pm
Parasite just won best ensemble at SAG awards. The acting branch is the largest voting block of the Academy, so with this win, Parasite would likely be considered the front runner for Best Picture at the Oscars.
PGA is still a stronger precursor for Best Picture but it’s at least a race.

Also, I don’t really get being that happy or angry about awards at this point.

LelekPL wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 1:59 pm
Why would people lose their shit if 1917 wins? I haven't seen any hate for it so far, or am I missing something?
It's not worth losing your shit over any movie that wins or loses an award.