Looper (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Based4Life wrote:I have saw this movie it is good
ok.

Criticwire asked:

Q: What movie are you most looking forward to seeing this fall? And just to make things interesting, I'm throwing in one wrinkle: you can't pick Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master" and Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained."

http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/t ... eaderPanel

And 18 out of almost 70 critics picked Looper.

This film has no shortage of talent - on both sides of the camera - but my reading of the synopsis tells me that the movie, like most time travel movies, wont make a lick of sense. Unless I'm misreading the premise, Ill wait for cable.

I am hoping that Blunt will be as badass as Chastain in The Debt. 8-)

PowerDump wrote:
loop wrote:Nice piece on Rian Johnson and JGL:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/08/ ... t-team/#/0

Does anybody have the scans of the Empire review?
Do you know the score it has gotten?
5/5

Total Film also gave it 5/5.. we have scans for that but not Empire.

Allstar wrote:
PowerDump wrote:
5/5

...Shit :twothumbsup:

Allstar wrote:
PowerDump wrote:
5/5

:clap: I'm incredibly pumped for this! :twothumbsup: Can't Wait!
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

I really, really want to read the Empire review...

The programming note from TIFF is a mini review as well:
Breathlessly paced, visually dazzling and ferociously smart, Looper may be the most memorable trip you take this year. Twisting the time-travel genre to squeeze out smart new ideas, writer-director Rian Johnson delivers that rare Hollywood pleasure: a thinking-person’s action film.

In the mid-twenty-first century, time travel has finally been discovered, but it’s been ruled illegal — which is to say that it’s available to the highest bidder. Organized crime has naturally moved in to fill the gap, and has found a particularly novel use for the technology: when the mob wants someone offed, they ship the unlucky soul thirty years into the past where they are executed by hired guns called "loopers," who then dispose of the remains in their present. In 2047, the icy, dapper Joe Simmons (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is the best looper in the business, and he’s compensated handsomely for his deadly skills. With time, though, even the best looper can become a liability, a fact that comes crashing home to Simmons when he meets his next target: himself, or rather himself circa 2077 (Bruce Willis). Confronted with this living existential dilemma, Simmons can’t bring himself to pull the trigger, and lets the fiftysomething Simmons go. But this time isn’t big enough for the both of them.

Johnson revealed his gift for giving a fresh spin to old genres with his sleeper-hit debut Brick, which inventively transplanted film noir tropes to a high school setting. Gordon-Levitt, who demonstrated his deftness with Johnson’s distinctive banter in Brick, does so again here, proving his leading-man chops as he stands toe to toe with the always impressive Willis. Recalling such genre classics as Blade Runner, The Terminator and 12 Monkeys, Looper delivers futuristic eye-candy and nail-biting chase sequences without sacrificing its sharp intelligence or the philosophical implications of its mind-bending premise.