Army of the Dead (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

good to see snydey back at it

Zack is having a great year! Good for him!

So this was... a film. In that it had moving images, but honestly... it was just tiring. Apart from the premise
that mercenaries are hired to take money out of the quarantined Vegas
there were zero good ideas, or any ideas in this. I don't even think it was very bad, it was just a big clump of nothing... it was grey and brown, and for some reason Snyder was DOP, and it shows. It's the extended aesthetic of the epilogue from Snyder's Justice League, and that's not a good thing.

I don't think it does anything good with the genre, on the contrary, it takes it in quite confusing directions. It tries to be emotional, but it just comes off as so weird, especially with some of the unnecessarily violent and even crude imagery. In one scene it tries to tap into zeitgeisty things with male aggression and sexual violence, then it shows a character violently stabbing his zombie wife in the skull, shouting "I had to do it!!". I'm not tyring to accuse the film of anti-female vibes, that would be ridiculous, but the editor must've felt that these scenes that almost follow each other seem a bit unfortunate back-to-back.

I just think Snyder is out of touch... the Snyder-cut and all the fuss that was around it showed this already, and his latest film further cements my perception of this man. This is just a trashy film, not in a good way. It has confusing tones, gratuitous violence, like, really unnecessary deaths, misplaced characterization, an annoying German guy (who, according to an above tweet, "steals every scene", yeah, sure) with annoying German stereotypes (German guy = Wagner has to be involved). And the film itself just looks really, really annoying. Most of the film is very dark, and at least half the shots have such a shallow depth of field it's like a parody of itself.

All in all, it just felt like a slightly better edited Michael Bay-film.

It was very much a comic book movie in terms of the sensibilities. How the characters spoke/ interacted, how the zombies were framed ( very cool intro to the queen and her bodyguard who looked like he should’ve played Morbius), and how the character deaths were shot. That’s where the entertainment factor came for me.

The interview starts from 3:28:

DHOPW42 wrote:
May 22nd, 2021, 6:44 am
So this was... a film. In that it had moving images, but honestly... it was just tiring. Apart from the premise
that mercenaries are hired to take money out of the quarantined Vegas
there were zero good ideas, or any ideas in this. I don't even think it was very bad, it was just a big clump of nothing... it was grey and brown, and for some reason Snyder was DOP, and it shows. It's the extended aesthetic of the epilogue from Snyder's Justice League, and that's not a good thing.

I don't think it does anything good with the genre, on the contrary, it takes it in quite confusing directions. It tries to be emotional, but it just comes off as so weird, especially with some of the unnecessarily violent and even crude imagery. In one scene it tries to tap into zeitgeisty things with male aggression and sexual violence, then it shows a character violently stabbing his zombie wife in the skull, shouting "I had to do it!!". I'm not tyring to accuse the film of anti-female vibes, that would be ridiculous, but the editor must've felt that these scenes that almost follow each other seem a bit unfortunate back-to-back.

I just think Snyder is out of touch... the Snyder-cut and all the fuss that was around it showed this already, and his latest film further cements my perception of this man. This is just a trashy film, not in a good way. It has confusing tones, gratuitous violence, like, really unnecessary deaths, misplaced characterization, an annoying German guy (who, according to an above tweet, "steals every scene", yeah, sure) with annoying German stereotypes (German guy = Wagner has to be involved). And the film itself just looks really, really annoying. Most of the film is very dark, and at least half the shots have such a shallow depth of field it's like a parody of itself.

All in all, it just felt like a slightly better edited Michael Bay-film.
100% with you. The movie looked like bleached shit. Colored graded to hell. The villain is straight 2000's Underworld. The jokes were...not "japanesy" as they say...