Man of Steel (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Let me ask you: which films of his have you seen? and what did you think of them?

Via The L.A. Times, Grant Morrison had a few words to say about the new Superman movie:
"I can’t wait to see what they do. There are so many ways to tell Superman stories that might resonate with a modern audience, and I’m looking forward to see how Zack Snyder approaches it. Things I’d personally like to see are a non-camp Luthor, some other villains like Metallo or Brainiac and a more vigorous, go-getting Superman. The noble attempts to portray him as a Christ-like, American redeemer figure in ‘Superman Returns’ had the unfortunate effect of making him a limp and wimpy punch bag. Superman is a highly principled hero, but he’s no pacifist; he’s a brawler who doesn’t give in until he’s dead or the bad guy’s down, and I’d like to see a bit more of that grit."
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/02/ ... punch-bag/

Mr Nolanuts wrote:
chee wrote:Yea...I have no idea why WB/Chris Nolan would offer Snyder the job. Isn't 300 the only film that did good in the box office? And its not like the quality of his films are great either.
I would like to take Chee's statement as an indication of general distaste for Zack Snyder on this website and give my opinion.
Let's start off with pure commercial numbers:

DAWN OF THE DEAD
Production budget: $26 million
Worldwide box office: $102 million -> SUCCESS

Production budget: $65 million
Worldwide box office: $456 million -> SUCCESS

WATCHMEN
Production budget: $130 million
Worldwide box office: $185 million -> MILD FAILURE

THE OWLS OF GA'HOOLE
Production budget: $80 million
Worldwide box office: $140 million -> SUCCESS

So to begin with, Watchmen was his only movie that did badly.
I think it's fairly obvious that the material itself was too intellectual (not "Inception intellectual", but a kind of
intellectual that belongs to a niche, in my opinion) to be sold to everyone.
Dollars aside, it was a great movie, and I can't think of someone else that could have created an internally cohesive and gripping movie out of such complex material.
It has been said pretty much everywhere that Snyder is a genius for visuals but lacks talent for deep character development, but there is one more characteristic that goes often unnoticed:
HE CAN CREATE ICONIC, EPIC AND POWERFUL MOMENTS.
Those who have truly seen Watchmen from the beginning to the end know exactly what I'm referring too.
I think it's true that his weak point is creating emotionally deep characters, but if there's a director out there
who can create a handful of scenes that will be stuck in the moviegoers' subconscious (THIS IS SPARTA anyone..?) it's
Zack Snyder.
Oh, and by the way, saying that Michael Bay is better is absolutely ridicolous.

Great post!
Plus these numbers do not show monies made on Blue Ray and DVD rentals and buys.

Watchmen was probably the the most critically acclaimed film out of all of them also.

DKnight007 wrote:
Mr Nolanuts wrote:
I would like to take Chee's statement as an indication of general distaste for Zack Snyder on this website and give my opinion.
Let's start off with pure commercial numbers:

DAWN OF THE DEAD
Production budget: $26 million
Worldwide box office: $102 million -> SUCCESS

Production budget: $65 million
Worldwide box office: $456 million -> SUCCESS

WATCHMEN
Production budget: $130 million
Worldwide box office: $185 million -> MILD FAILURE

THE OWLS OF GA'HOOLE
Production budget: $80 million
Worldwide box office: $140 million -> SUCCESS

So to begin with, Watchmen was his only movie that did badly.
I think it's fairly obvious that the material itself was too intellectual (not "Inception intellectual", but a kind of
intellectual that belongs to a niche, in my opinion) to be sold to everyone.
Dollars aside, it was a great movie, and I can't think of someone else that could have created an internally cohesive and gripping movie out of such complex material.
It has been said pretty much everywhere that Snyder is a genius for visuals but lacks talent for deep character development, but there is one more characteristic that goes often unnoticed:
HE CAN CREATE ICONIC, EPIC AND POWERFUL MOMENTS.
Those who have truly seen Watchmen from the beginning to the end know exactly what I'm referring too.
I think it's true that his weak point is creating emotionally deep characters, but if there's a director out there
who can create a handful of scenes that will be stuck in the moviegoers' subconscious (THIS IS SPARTA anyone..?) it's
Zack Snyder.
Oh, and by the way, saying that Michael Bay is better is absolutely ridicolous.

Great post!
Plus these numbers do not show monies made on Blue Ray and DVD rentals and buys.

Watchmen was probably the the most critically acclaimed film out of all of them also.
Yes but in America only 50% of ticket goes to the studio and in the UK it's 1/3 and then you also have marketing to pay for which is in the millions. WB also had to pay a lot of money to 20th Century Fox which was in the millions with Watchmen.
Watchmen (the original version in the cinema) was all over the place and I have not met one person who liked it. Loved the graphic novel but if you haven't read the novel it has a lot of holes that leaves questions for new people coming in. I will stand by statement that Zack Znyder is rubbish when it comes to narrative and his over use of slow motion action scenes and normal humans having super strength/powers in Watchmen is either daft or boring and dumbs down the orginal material.
He's average artistically but know how to make it "look" good in order to sell the film, thats why he's been hired for Superman. Won't spend time on the script and offers that "look" which makes money but artistically overused in films of today and completely unoriginal.

You're numbers are way off. In the first weeks of major releases studios are taking 95% and that number declines over the time span of the films release. This is why theater houses have to charge so much for consessions and love it when movies stay in the theaters longer, because they begin to get more and more on the ticket price. Overseas it's not so slanted and is closer to your 50% number and sometimes even lower. Studios dominate in US.

Well my numbers come from a fella who runs a course called "low to no budget film making" (I also have his book at my apartment) and the infomation comes from him. He runs a film film festival as well called Raindance and that course I was on was the same one Guy Ritche, Matthew Vaughan, Edgar Wright and Christopher Nolan were on.
So I don't think my numbers are way off if he's telling me face to face it's that, esspecially as he's been to loads of festivals around the world and has worked in the business for nearly 2 decades.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/artic ... r-superman

Viggo Mortensen is rumored to be in the running for the part of General Zod in Zack Snyder's Superman, says a story at The Hollywood Reporter.

Don't jump to any conclusions quite yet, though. Zod's involvement in the storyline is unconfirmed, and Mortensen's connection to the role is tenuous at best. The original article lists him as a "person of interest," but he's also rumored to be up for the lead in Snow White and the Hunstman, a project that would certainly preclude his involvement in the DC Comics adaptation.

Also included in the original article is the rumor that Snyder is currently casting for three female roles. If Zod is, indeed, in the script, one of those roles is likely that of the previously-rumored Ursa who, in both the comics and previous films, was Zod's right-hand woman.

While other recent reports have rumored Kevin Costner in the role of Jonathan Kent (Clark's father), the only confirmed bit of casting at this stage remains Henry Cavill as the man of steel of himself. Expect that to change shortly, though, as production will begin very soon for a December 2012 release.

You beat me to it, I was just gonna post this. lol Definitely an interesting bit of news, hopefully Viggo ends up doing it. I'm assuming the "three female roles" they're referring to are Lois Lane, Ursa, and Martha 'Ma' Kent.

rbevanx wrote:Well my numbers come from a fella who runs a course called "low to no budget film making" (I also have his book at my apartment) and the infomation comes from him. He runs a film film festival as well called Raindance and that course I was on was the same one Guy Ritche, Matthew Vaughan, Edgar Wright and Christopher Nolan were on.
So I don't think my numbers are way off if he's telling me face to face it's that, esspecially as he's been to loads of festivals around the world and has worked in the business for nearly 2 decades.
My sources are a different lot. I've got my figures from Christopher Newman and his figures were backed by Sidney Lumet. My cousin whose a working actor in Hollywood (currently doing a show called "The Cape") said that the numbers sounded about right. Who knows. Both our sources seem pretty legit.

EDIT: and if you're wondering how I know Christopher Newman, he teaches at the school I'm attending and I've had the pleasure of being his student for the last year. Great guy.

I remember Nolan was considering him for the role of Henri Ducard.£