Last Night In Soho (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ace wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 11:01 am
i really hope its good. in my mind i love wrights work (and as a person he seems incredible) but reflecting soberly it doesnt average out to greatness

shawn - good but i dont love it
hot fuzz - cool but that's it
scott pilg - its fatally crippled for not having been a mini-series but as is i think it's kinda phenomenal (though it's also the last film i watched with like 3 girls i dated so i do feel it is cursed)
world's end - fine but that's it
baby driver - really bland and kinda bad

this trailer seems in line with that. i.e. very strong craft and i'll probably enjoy it butttt that's it? feels detatched and like hes not doing much with his lead.
Last edited by Disney+'s solo2001 on May 25th, 2021, 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I’m not an Edgar Wright fan but hopefully it can’t be worse than Neon Demon I hope.

I was pretty into this trailer until the horrible-looking CGI hand crashed through the floorboards. I'm mixed on Wright: Like the Cornetto Trilogy and Scott Pilgrim (with some reservations); but, I really disliked Baby Driver.

I don't like the 'serious' cover of that fun song being used here. It's a trend I'm honestly kind of sick of. Just use the original version of the song or better yet, use an orchestral score.

Also, why would you think referencing Baby Driver, a film that is far from Edgar Wright's best film, is going to fill me with confidence that this film is any good?

Yeah, Edgar, I get it. You have seen Carnival of Souls, I have seen Carnival of Souls, etc. but maybe that's why this trailer did not really work for me...because that film told what looks to be this film's story with a smaller budget and less showy fanfare.

Batfan175 wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 1:02 am
Also, why would you think referencing Baby Driver, a film that is far from Edgar Wright's best film, is going to fill me with confidence that this film is any good?
It's his most recent but more importantly his most successful film. Most trailers use this to market the director. That's not hard to understand.

bootsy wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 1:16 am
Batfan175 wrote:
It's his most recent but more importantly his most successful film. Most trailers use this to market the director. That's not hard to understand.
I'd say even now more people know (and have more affection for) the Cornetto trilogy than Baby Driver but ok.

Batfan175 wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 8:32 am
bootsy wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:
I'd say even now more people know (and have more affection for) the Cornetto trilogy than Baby Driver but ok.
You would say huh. Ok. Well the fact is Baby Driver is his most successful and most recent movie and it is the common sense thing to do is to market this movie with the director's most well known film but no problem we'll go with everyone's favorite because batfan said so of 'I'd say even now more people know.. oh I forgot (and have more affection for) ' :crazy:

bootsy wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 5:34 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
bootsy wrote:

You would say huh. Ok. Well the fact is Baby Driver is his most successful and most recent movie and it is the common sense thing to do is to market this movie with the director's most well known film but no problem we'll go with everyone's favorite because batfan said so of 'I'd say even now more people know.. oh I forgot (and have more affection for) ' :crazy:
Oh no, I am expressing my opinion about the trailer, that PR material that one is meant to react to as an audience member. Referencing that film does not make me more interested in this film because it just reminds me of how little impact his previous film had and hence does not fill me as an audience member with confidence that this is going to be a good film. It could be mandated by law that you have to reference the director's most recent film and that impression would not change tbh, mainly because of how little impact this director's most recent film had quite frankly.

Batfan175 wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 1:51 am
bootsy wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:

Oh no, I am expressing my opinion about the trailer, that PR material that one is meant to react to as an audience member. Referencing that film does not make me more interested in this film because it just reminds me of how little impact his previous film had and hence does not fill me as an audience member with confidence that this is going to be a good film. It could be mandated by law that you have to reference the director's most recent film and that impression would not change tbh, mainly because of how little impact this director's most recent film had quite frankly.
If only they cared about you.

bootsy wrote:
May 29th, 2021, 1:57 am
Batfan175 wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 1:51 am
bootsy wrote:

If only they cared about you.
I mean, I am an audience member who pays for movie tickets so you bet they care about people like me.