Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 10:21 am
Can't imagine that I'd ever manage to suffer through Connery's run in this lifetime. The nauseating sexist trash that they are.
how do you watch let alone read anything from before like 2002

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 11:22 am
Master Virgo wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 10:21 am
Can't imagine that I'd ever manage to suffer through Connery's run in this lifetime. The nauseating sexist trash that they are.
how do you watch let alone read anything from before like 2002

-Vader
This. I'd have to burn half of my collection. RIP Savage Sword of Conan etc.

What can I say, life's hard for us wokester soyboys. Got to kiss a lot of good shit, that you would previously enjoy, goodbye.

Master Virgo wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 3:43 pm
What can I say, life's hard for us wokester soyboys. Got to kiss a lot of good shit, that you would previously enjoy, goodbye.
Plato, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy were right about a lot of stuff but enforcing all art to be morally salient and didactic was not one of those things

-Vader

as a wYmYn if i may even say a word or two, people have every right to not watch anything they don’t want to watch and for whatever reason. it’s their choice.

i don’t see the point in suggesting this is the morally right way for all of us to go, however. it is there, it exists and has so for over 4 decades, and has already had a huge stronghold over pop culture and ~society~ (and vice versa). That can’t ever be undone. If you are personally too uncomfortable to watch something, that is absolutely valid, but it should always be left open for others to decide themselves. it’s always good to examine problematic art because it helps take steps towards working out and unlearning the toxicity within ourselves (like cilogy’s example in bond’s thread). people “kissing goodbye” old bond shouldn’t mean sadness over their object of admiration being taken away as much as a potential of learning. it will always be problematic if people in 2020 will look at connery’s bond and think of him as the epitome of an ideal man, but that’s a separate topic. otherwise all of this gets a little too close towards attempting to rewrite history and police art and that is a huge no from me.

I completely agree, but that's a very different point than the one Virgo was making.

Jane Eyre is super cap-p problematic to the extreme recent academia has labeled Charlotte Brontë as a "Bad Feminist." That doesn't mean it isn't rich in beauty, entertainment, theme or soul.

Everyone decides for themselves what's palatable (Jane waiting around endlessly for Thor in Dark World struck me as grossly Eisenhower era America), but I don't think we should censor or even ignore old texts that represent the era in which they were written, good and bad.

IE, like, Hegel's "historicism" or even the tradition of "new historicism."

-Vader

Master Virgo wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 3:43 pm
Jeez if this isn't one of the most black and white things I ever read on here...

I completely agree with Ruth and Vader.

Vader182 wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 5:06 pm
I completely agree, but that's a very different point than the one Virgo was making.

Jane Eyre is super cap-p problematic to the extreme recent academia has labeled Charlotte Brontë as a "Bad Feminist." That doesn't mean it isn't rich in beauty, entertainment, theme or soul.

Everyone decides for themselves what's palatable (Jane waiting around endlessly for Thor in Dark World struck me as grossly Eisenhower era America), but I don't think we should censor or even ignore old texts that represent the era in which they were written, good and bad.

IE, like, Hegel's "historicism" or even the tradition of "new historicism."

-Vader
given virgo’s “wokester soyboy” comment i don’t think i was completely off the mark with my comment.

but i agree with you!

I think it's important to read and watch as much as you can so that you can gauge how overtime society (we live in one!) has changed.

People can absolutely not watch or read certain works for whatever reason but I feel like it's important to expose yourself to those works because they can tell you so much about a long gone time period and you can also use them to view current works in a different context.