Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 7:15 am
Remember when they wanted to reboot the franchise with Renner? :lol:
Renner is fine with the team, but no Cruise, no deal.
:lol: yeah also whoever came up with that idea? lol

I don't mind that Renner is no longer in these films, but I miss Paula Patton tho :cry: wish they asked her back for at least one of these

I want an Ilsa Faust spinoff.

For me it’s:

Fallout
Rogue Nation
M:I
M:I:III / Ghost Protocol
M:I 2

Feels like I haven't had a hot take in a while.

Ghost Protocol is so goofy and tonally dissonant that I often forget it's even part of the series. To me, it's always felt closer to films like Johnny English and Get Smart.

The film has no real sense of peril or danger. You could posit that at least the Burj scene is cool, but even there the constant gags and one-liners suck any sort of tension from it. Giacchino's score is part of the problem. It's far too whimsical for spy action and almost comes across as parody.

It also has a nothing villain with a motivation that feels like the writers used an online "nefarious plot generator" website. Paula Patton is hot, but that is literally it. Also if that wasn't enough, Anil Kapoor's over-the-top cringe kind of ruins the film anyway.

Ghost Protocol is the Sanjuro and therefore the best.

Cilogy wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 5:10 pm

Ghost Protocol is so goofy and tonally dissonant that I often forget it's even part of the series. To me, it's always felt closer to films like Johnny English and Get Smart.

The film has no real sense of peril or danger. You could posit that at least the Burj scene is cool, but even there the constant gags and one-liners suck any sort of tension from it. Giacchino's score is part of the problem. It's far too whimsical for spy action and almost comes across as parody.

It also has a nothing villain with a motivation that feels like the writers used an online "nefarious plot generator" website. Paula Patton is hot, but that is literally it. Also if that wasn't enough, Anil Kapoor's over-the-top cringe kind of ruins the film anyway.
Cilogy has never said anything more right or attractive.

Cilogy wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 5:10 pm

All of them are goofy in sense. I don't think any of us are saying it's the best, we're saying it's one of the best. It's definitely behind Fallout and probably Rogue Nation although it's close. The thing about GP is it set the tone for those two movies when it got off track from II and III. I will give you the villain sucked but the movie is too good for me to downgrade it for that reason.

It had many cool scenes/sense of peril and danger:
The breakout from the Moscow prison set the tone.
The entire infiltration at the Kremlin.
Ethan's escape from the hospital.
Ethan and Brandt's escape from limo blowup/underwater.
The automated car park,
Brandt's fan jump.

Ghost Protocol is probably lowest if we rank based on third acts in M:I movies. It's not even goofy like M:I-2.

I agree that all of them are goofy, one more than the other. But I think Ghost Protocol takes the cake when it comes to that.

I also agree that Ghost Protocol paved the way for Rogue Nation and Fallout, I don't think we could've gotten those if it weren't for GP. It invigorated the franchise, goofiness be damned lol I think the leading factor in making Rogue Nation and Fallout work so well is not only because McQuarrie was one of the writers, but as the director he could really make it his own. And he's a fantastic fit for this franchise.

It's just so weird that I'd argue that the second trilogy in this franchise is better than the first lol but yeah, rewatch coming up next year :P

I was planning to provide my hot take on the series... I didn't like Fallout that much, I would even say that the action scenes are not as good as people are saying. I remember leaving the cinema a bit underwhelmed, and I haven't rewatched the film until yesterday. And I... switched it off 20 or 30 minutes before the ending. There are several good and exciting ideas in it, and I loved the parts when they played around with the masks to expose bad guys (those scenes were set up quite well and I never felt suspicious, so I really fell for those tricks), but I just never felt rush or excitement throughout the main action set pieces (plane jump over Paris, Paris car chase, helicopter chase) - the sort of rush I get from some of the Nolan action set pieces, for example.

I really had to think about why these action scenes in Fallout feel underwhelming for me, but part of it is that a number of shots seem just too impossible to be true - like when Cruise is biking through very, very busy streets. And you can really see how most of the cars are just edited there, and I don't feel that sort of threat or danger that would make it exciting - for me, at least. The same for the base jumping sequence - the storm is so over-the-top fake, for me it defeats the purpose of actually pulling off that jump. I know how they went up and the cameramen was diving down with the actors, but it's all smeared over by effects that don't make the whole sequence better or more amazing - on the contrary.

Of course, when I think of a Nolan action sequence, such as the docking sequence from Interstellar, or the Joker-Harvey Dent car chase from TDK there are several special effects and visual effects in play, but somehow they are designed to enhance the realism of the whole affair. I'm struggling to explain why Fallout didn't live up to my expectations when it comes to action scenes, but these are some of the elements I can think of.

I love Fallout, but I get what you mean, because look at this BTS of the HALO jump.

Like, it looks real in this video. It doesn't look so real in the finished product. It's a shame they had to do set it over Paris at night so it required putting in a bunch of CGI in the background. Because in the film it looks like something they shot in a free fall simulator.

Also I remember literally laughing out loud in the theater during the shot of the helicopter rolling and some other shots during that final sequence. They could have used a tiny bit more restraint with some things.