Top 10 Movies of 2019

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
IndieWire’s Critics Poll
304 critics

1. “Parasite”
2. “The Irishman”
3. “Marriage Story”
4. “Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood”
5. “Portrait of a Lady on Fire”
6. “Pain & Glory”
7. “Uncut Gems”
8. “The Souvenir”
9. “Joker”
10. “Little Women”
11. “The Farewell”
12. “Knives Out”
13. “Transit”
14. “The Lighthouse”
15. “Us”
16. “A Hidden Life”
17. “Ad Astra”
18. “Long Day’s Journey Into Night”
19. “Atlantics”
20. “High Life”
21. “1917”
22. “The Last Black Man in San Francisco”
23. “Jojo Rabbit”
24. “An Elephant Sitting Still”
25. “Midsommar”

Saw 15 of those movies and I enjoyed a lot of them. I imagine I'd probably love the last 10 I still need to see.

But so far it's a good list.

nolannolanchrischris wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 2:29 pm
IndieWire’s Critics Poll
304 critics

1. “Parasite”
2. “The Irishman”
3. “Marriage Story”
4. “Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood”
5. “Portrait of a Lady on Fire”
6. “Pain & Glory”
7. “Uncut Gems”
8. “The Souvenir”
9. “Joker”
10. “Little Women”
11. “The Farewell”
12. “Knives Out”
13. “Transit”
14. “The Lighthouse”
15. “Us”
16. “A Hidden Life”
17. “Ad Astra”
18. “Long Day’s Journey Into Night”
19. “Atlantics”
20. “High Life”
21. “1917”
22. “The Last Black Man in San Francisco”
23. “Jojo Rabbit”
24. “An Elephant Sitting Still”
25. “Midsommar”
shoutout putting long day's journey into night and transit on here, two of the best and most overlooked movies this year

-Vader

Are those 2019 releases tho

I mean I guess they are but still

In the states they are 100% 2019.

-Vader

meh

also lol

I’d love to see country statistics of this website’s members. This forum (and honestly, most of the internet) is so american centric, I find myself always having to adapt to that in a sense. It’s like constantly being in an american themed bubble, despite not actually living there. I’m sure there are others who would agree

if we all went by that “release date in your country” rule, these threads would be a clusterfuck, so i guess you guys have the upper hand. i don’t want to start this discussion again tho because i remember all of your views by heart at this point lol

Ruth wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 6:17 pm
I’d love to see country statistics of this website’s members. This forum (and honestly, most of the internet) is so american centric, I find myself always having to adapt to that in a sense. It’s like constantly being in an american themed bubble, despite not actually living there. I’m sure there are others who would agree

if we all went by that “release date in your country” rule, these threads would be a clusterfuck, so i guess you guys have the upper hand. i don’t want to start this discussion again tho because i remember all of your views by heart at this point lol
I read a figure not long ago that only 1% of box office receipts in the U.S. are from foreign language films. Whereas, American films as a whole make a ton of money overseas. Hollywood is still the epicenter of the filmmaking universe thus I guess the slant toward all things Americana.

Ozymandias wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 6:54 pm
I read a figure not long ago that only 1% of box office receipts in the U.S. are from foreign language films. Whereas, American films as a whole make a ton of money overseas. Hollywood is still the epicenter of the filmmaking universe thus I guess the slant toward all things Americana.
That doesn't really have anything to do with Ruth's post though.

Ruth wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 6:17 pm

Agreed. No matter how many American critics put Transit in their top 10 lists of 2019, the fact is it would always be one of the best films of 2018. Recently Guardian listed The Favorite in it's best of 2019 UK films. Absolutely pointless.

Release date in the country of film's origin is the only date that matters. And I hope I'm not speaking out of line here, but this forum has enough international posters that release date in the origin country should be respected for these lists. But to each their own.