Top 10 Movies of 2019

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
idk if i’ve been missing stuff (im sure i have) but this year has been pretty awful imo

only films i could even imagine putting on a top ten any other year are High Life and Us. haven’t gotten to Midsommer yet

Nomis wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 5:40 am
Bacon wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 7:04 pm
Two of the top 5 films I've seen this year have been short musical films.
Radiohead and

Radiohead?
Anima by PTA and I Am Easy to Find by Mike Mills. The latter is significantly overlooked.

Michaelf2225 wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 9:21 am
idk if i’ve been missing stuff (im sure i have) but this year has been pretty awful imo

only films i could even imagine putting on a top ten any other year are High Life and Us. haven’t gotten to Midsommer yet
undoubtably a weaker first half of the year since maybe 2013 but also check out:

booksmart
far from home
transit
long day's journey into night
midsommar
john wick 3
high flying bird

(not ranked ^)

and its controversial but i really liked dragged across concrete.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 10:47 am
Michaelf2225 wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 9:21 am

undoubtably a weaker first half of the year since maybe 2013 but also check out:

booksmart
far from home
transit
long day's journey into night
midsommar
john wick 3
high flying bird

(not ranked ^)

and its controversial but i really liked dragged across concrete.

-Vader
yeah, i definitely still have to see stuff - just seems like the good indies so far this year are few and far between. transit and midsommar are on the list, liked booksmart but wasn’t in love like most seem to be

Hollywood has been horrible, but international cinema has been decent in the first half. Hate to sound snobbish, but Americans just have to watch more movies (and read subtitles).

anarchy wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 11:27 am
Hollywood has been horrible, but international cinema has been decent in the first half. Hate to sound snobbish, but Americans just have to watch more movies (and read subtitles).
Cannes Festival was very good apparently. I've only seen Parasite, and it was indeed amazing.

If only Americans read subtitles... Imagine that, if they too saw a lot more films not in the English language.

anarchy wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 11:27 am
don't disagree, but even so this is a weaker year all around for film. lots of 'neat' movies, not so many 'love' movies.

-Vader

U.S. is one of the few countries that is largely repulsed by dubbing so... jokes on you?

Updated list:
m4st4 wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 5:51 am
1) Midsommar
2) Us
3) End Game
4) Parasite
5) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
6) Far From Home
7) Rocketman
8) Toy Story 4